Can the Ipod Touch Play Online?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shamim57, Oct 28, 2009.

1. shamim57

shamim57 New Member

I was just wondering this and im not talking about the regular BS Online piece of **** where you dont really fight against your opponent and just show stats

Im talking about like Psp and Ps3 Online Gameplay, I have yet to see an app like that, Is it actually possible?

Maybe Like a War game where you actually see your friend on your screen
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I believe Eliminate will be like that, I'm not sure which apps have that ability now. I think Cocoto Kart has online play.
  3. shamim57

shamim57 New Member

If they do you better be able to see your opponent and im not talking about bluetooth either
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well..in Cocoto Kart, you will see them when you pass them/they pass you.
    Eliminate is a shooter, so you'll see them when you're shooting them..
    Or do you actually wanna see their faces?
  5. shamim57

shamim57 New Member

I think eliminate didnt even make it to the app store yet though, they were sent in last week

I saw the trailer for it but it doesnt look that really good kind of plain and simple (the setting)
  6. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    LOL see their faces, that's not even supported in consoles!

Anyways, if you are asking like real time gameplay like real humans controlling your opponents whether it be race, shooter, or strategy game, yes it is possible as iPod touch and iPhone has Wi-Fi and 3G mobile internet technology and apple additionally supports it with Bonjour over (local) wifi and bluetooth. (I believe match-making and online room play you mentioned like in Call of Duty, needs server on the game developer's side)

There are few games that does support online match-making (joining game rooms to play with others) but many suffer from weak internet connection and or underpowered server (Galcon, however is an exception, the gameplay is simple enough to not lag at all but provide countless hours of fun check it out) And some other games support manual multiplayer (You need to type in the ip address of your opponent) And tons of local wireless play over bluetooth and wifi but that isn't what your asking about.

Hope it helped, I can simplify my explanation if you wanted to.
    But the main answer is:
    Yes, Internet multiplayer games are possible and supported on the iPod and iPhone,and
    Yes there are few games that support multiplayer over WWW but many games lag as of now with the exception of simple games like board games.

Please let me know to if you guys know any more decent multiplayer titles

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    You must be joking,these consoles support it:

Xbox 360
    Nintendo DSi
    Playstation 3/2
    Playstaion Portable (I think the PSP Go can go here as well)
    PC/Mac (and other OSes)
  8. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    wtf? psp only has local wi-fi multiplayer, not online. what are u smoking. only one psp game has online and it isnt that good. FAST and Modern combat have online. MC will have online as well as ELIMINATE AND ASPHALT 5 AND ....
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Um no.
    PSP has had adhoc multiplayer and infrastructure since PSP 1000 (first PSP)
    And the PSP games online are a lot better than ipod touch games.
  10. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, and there are few other games that support wifi play.
    Probably all of the most recent EA Sports games like FIFA 2009
    and I know Worms Open Warfare 2 Supports it (Although I;ve been hearing newses that the server got shut down, I own the ds version so no way to confirm)

And also about the face comment, I just meant having face during the online game play, of course you can easily stick a Camera onto a console! (Not including Macs and PCs because while they play games, their primary function is not gaming no matter how you'd like to argue) I have EyeToy for PS2, now I use it for my computer webcam with a driver hack.

I meant the support of using it during online gameplay, I haven't seen any yet.