Can someone walk me through this process to get the iPhone apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by sizzle71, Nov 10, 2007.

1. sizzle71

sizzle71 New Member

I'm getting confused about ftp and this droping into /applications/ and stuff can someone explain to me as if I were a baby?
  2. ipodtouchlover

ipodtouchlover New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ftp is how you connect your ipod touch to your computer the only way you can do that is using sftp (secure ftp).
  3. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    how far along are you? have you been able to use a ftp program to get into your ipod at all?
  4. ipodman

ipodman New Member

go to youtube and type in ipod touch hacks and you should find a video that will show you how to get the iphone apps on your ipod touch. thats what I did
  5. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

Ok first of all you have to have jailbroken your ipod touch. The you need an stp programme such as Win SCP (for windows) or the corresponding software for Mac.
    1.Plug your ipod into your computer.
    2. Go into your ipod ..settings>general>autolock and turn it on to never (you can change it again afterwards)
    3. Open up Win SCP on your computer. You will see a dialogue box . For host name you need to put in your ip address. You can find this by going into your ipod and clicking on settings> wifi> next to the wifi you are using there is ablue arrow. Click on it and it will show you your ip address e.g. 10.0.0.6 (it may be longer).
    4. Back in the win scp screen on your computer in the username box type in root and in the password box typein alpine.
    5. Check the box labelled port number has 22 in it, leave the box private key file empty and hit log in.
    6. After a few second s a new box should open. You are now in.
    7. You should then see 3 files Library, Media and Media_sym If you don't see these check if there is a folder with ... after it and click on that to get these 3 folders.
    8. If you double click on media-sym you should see a list of folders one of which is Applications.
    9. Double click on this. This is where you copy an dpaste any new application folders you want to put in.
    10. After you have pasted your new aplication in right click on the folder and you will see a box with properties at the bottom. Click on that and there will be a whole lot of things, but in particular a box named Octal. Type 0755 into that box (it may already be there or there may be another number in there.
    11. Just below that there may be a box which says 'set group, owner and permisiions recursively' Put a tick in the box.
    12. Shut down your ipod completely (i.e. you have to use the red slider to shut if off)
    Then switch on again and your ne wprogramme should be in there.

Hope this helps...you can always pm me for other questions (Just remember I'm in Oz so I may be asleep when you're waiting for info!)

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. yeayeafasho

yeayeafasho New Member

what if everytime u try to login to Winscp it says that my connection is bad? it happens everytime...
    what should i do??
  7. chriskswiss94

chriskswiss94 New Member

yea i get the same error as the person above me so can you help me?
  8. shellerboy

shellerboy New Member

i get an error message?????????????????
  9. piggo

piggo New Member

check if your ip address for your ipod's correct
    check if your computer is connected to the same wireless connection
    check if the wireless connection of your computer's the ONLY connection (no lan cables)
  10. jlamarp

jlamarp New Member