Can someone teach me how to make an App.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by fbmbikes, Nov 25, 2007.

1. fbmbikes

fbmbikes New Member

iv seen all these people make really cool apps although i have no ideia what/how to make an App i can learn quick,

i have many apps lined up once i learn

1: a Half Life based game, eather HL1 or HL2 with physics
    2: Myspace app
    3:a ******* app, for downloading music/videos like bittlord ect.

i have more ideas but i need the help with learning how to do it!

thanks in advance!
  2. flash84x

flash84x New Member

3. fbmbikes

fbmbikes New Member

bumpppppppppppppp
  4. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I can't...

haha, but seriously dude, it takes a long time to learn this stuff. People actually go to school JUST for this kind of stuff and I SERIOUSLY doubt that they will teach you the entire process but, Nice try....
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The first step is to learn C. That should keep you busy for a few months to a year or more, depending on your aptitude and assuming you have a good amount of free time to dedicate to it, and a focused head for logic, math and structure.

Once you have at least a handle on the concept of structured programming in Objective C and can compile something a little more sophisticated than "Hello World" without looking it up, start looking into the toolchain for the iPod. You probably won't be ready to do anything with it, but figuring out how it all works and learning a bit about programming in the iPod Touch environment specifically, you'll have a better idea of what direction you need to take your furthering education in C.

Seriously, programming is not something you undertake lightly just because you want to make a few cool apps. It takes quite some time and no small amount of dedication before you're even at a level where you can program something useful, never mind complicated. You mention Half-Life. The original half life took a sizeable team of coders, level designers, sound engineers, voice actors and graphic artists a year to write from start to finish -- and those were people who already knew what they were doing and starting out with part of it already done for them: the Quake 3D engine (which they modified significantly for the game). That's not to say that Half-Life is not doable on the Touch, though the workability of the control mechanism is highly debatable (there's a lengthy debate on how to work the controls in Doom; Half-Life has even more controls.), but for someone who hasn't even wet his feet in the programming pool, it's just wishful thinking.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'm afraid it can't be helped. I cut my programming teeth way back in the mid-80s, when programming 8-bit and 16-bit machines wasn't nearly as complex as programming modern machines is now, and even then it took a long time before I was good enough to do anything decent. I got out of programming in the late 90s when I switched to the PC platform, and I haven't bothered to learn anything here since. (I have to admit though I really would like to find some time to code for portable devices -- PocketPC, Palm and now the Touch would be awesome to code on.)

If you're truly serious about wanting to learn to program -- and I commend you if you are and understand the time and dedication involved in such an endeavor -- then I suggest you start by googling "C tutorials." There are plenty on the web to whet your appetite, and there are plenty of free C compilers and IDEs available if, after looking at some tutorials you, still want to proceed. Just remember: Be very, very patient with yourself and take the time to understand the material. And while your at it, learn and understand the platforms you want to develop on -- their capabilities and limitations. (For example, Half Life 2 on the Touch? Not gonna happen. It just doesn't have the juice for it.) Nobody learns how to program overnight, and whatever ideas you have for Touch apps won't see the light of day for a long time. Plan for that. Expect your progress to be frustratingly slow but steady. Realize that even when you get to the point where you feel like you can tackle a Touch app, you're going to sweat and toil, write and rewrite and tear your freakin' hair out when bugs evade your every attempt to squash them because it turns out to be one little misspelling in a local variable in some obscure procedure tucked away in an include file. (And when you can understand and commiserate with what I just said there, then you're truly becoming a programmer.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

But despite the frustrations, the setbacks, the long hours slaving over a hot compiler, staring at thousands of lines of code trying to find that stupid little routine that's throwing exceptions all over the place, the payoff is that when you finally finish that first version, you can sit back and pat yourself on the back like a motherfarker and say, "I did that. That's mine." And damn, it feels good.

At least until the great unwashed use your program and start complaining about all the bugs.

Please Register or Log in to view images