Can someone please explain why Jailbreaking is good?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Snowblower, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Snowblower

Snowblower New Member

Is the whole point of jailbreaking to run cracked applications and warez? Or to change themes or something? I have never owned an IPod Touch so I don't know its limitations but want to buy one for Christmas. I don't understand the big picture here... are there freeware apps or something that are impossible to install without jailbreaking? Or is this all about warez? Can someone please help an old guy understand what the excitement over jailbreaking is all about??
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Dont discuss cracked apps but...

... Jailbreaking offers lots of things that apple dont allow like theming and stuff. Its a long and hard story but it IS better
  3. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

jailbreaking is used for installing 3rd party apps that apple doesn't allow.

like themes, customize, and many more, you'll find the apps as soon as you JB.

you can use openSSH to access the files of your ipod.

you'll find all the apps and repos once you JB your ipod.

and look around at this forum so you can find more info for jailbreaking.

and PS: if you want to JB, buy an ipod touch 1G,

because the 2G can't be JB yet.

good luck.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't forget less stable, requires more maintenance, and makes the battery life worse.
  5. Snowblower

Snowblower New Member

Thanks guys... well I have never even used iTunes before, a complete n00b to the world of iPod. so I don't understand why people love/hate it so much and want to jailbreak. I certainly have searched this forum and it makes my head spin even more, there seems to be many apps available but is that because similar apps are not available from iTunes? Or because people Jailbreak to avoid paying for them? And is there a directory of apps somewhere, or is it just all handled browsing forums like this... cuz my Google searches just find more forums like this, nothing like a softpedia.com for jailbreak'ed apps.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Honestly everywhere i go i hear all of this "low battery stuff because of jailbreak" im on 2.2 right now and i havent charged my battery in 3 days, use it everyday and listen to music for about 3-5 hours a day. My battery doesnt drain that fast.
  7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i was in your position exactly a year ago just before i bought my Touch - never had an ipod before and never opened itunes either.

i purchased my Touch, then didn't have much choice but to use itunes. and to be honest it's pretty damned easy and straight forward and before you know it it'll be like second nature to you.

i then jail broke my ipod.

back then before 2.x firmware, there wasn't much else you could do with your ipod, so jail breaking really was a good idea. the apps weren't really ground breaking, and being able to customize your screen isn't a must either.

i recently upgraded to 2.2 and decided not to jail break again. no need now. the app store is awesome (i'm personally not aversed to paying for things like a look of peeps are), and just having the option to add extra 'gimmicks' and customizations and so forth dont really ring my bell. but again, your choice, a lot of people swear by jail breaking. for me personally it's a faf not worth the effort. i'll be staying perfectly above board from now on considering the usage for the Touch is becoming more and more awesome

your choice though as mentioned. there is no good or bad about it.
  8. BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    iTunes and the iPod have a short learning curve before being able to use them confidently.

As for jb'ing, i only use it for themeing because i'm so bloody anal about how my gadgets look, but other than that, it's kinda useless. I've spent about £30+ in the appstore i think as it has soooo many awesome apps. My speed is a little impeded but i've never found it battery draining or unstable (ok so i may have broken it a few times through the jb process) but once it's done it's fine

So the moral is...don't jb if you don't care

9. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Things that I like about jailbreaking are the ability to do things like organize the apps in folders and sub-folders, to run apps that the appstore would never allow (that are available through Cydia, such as game emulators), and to be able to have more control of the look and feel of the device.
  10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Don't forget it allows you to view google streetview and get bus directions.

And also if you have a lot of apps that take 10 seconds to scroll through, you can set everything up in categories so it takes 2 seconds to access.