Can someone make this into a Cydia package?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by JusTiNcReDiBLe, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Now, I know one person asking for someone else to make a Cydia package is a lot to ask for, but I'm sure I speak for tons of people after they hear what I'm requesting. Possibly even the package maker.

Ok, what I'm looking for is a way to switch between two different springboards. What I mean by this is not to have two springboards (which isn't even possible, lol) but to have two pre-set settings for my springboard.

A.K.A. I could have one setting of my springboard that shows all my stuff, folders (since I have Categories), mods, and all custom settings that I have placed with Winterboard (wallpaper, faded icons, no icon label, etc.)... THEN I would have another setting - or maybe configuration would be a better word - which is sort of a "simplified" version of my springboard. This could include no mods (includes Winterboard), no folders that I didn't want to be shown, no wallpaper, and no apps/icons that I didn't want to be shown.

Now, I'm not asking for all this to be all set up FOR me. The easiest way I see this happening is that this app would duplicate my springboard settings first. Then, when I went into the app to switch to my secondary springboard, anything that I changed on it would STAY that way. What I ALSO NOT asking for is an app that has ON/OFF switches for any of the settings I mentioned above. I want to do this on my own right on my springboard, Categories, SBSettings, or whatever I already use to customize my iPod Touch.

I could see this being used for people that want to be able to share their iPods with friends/family/random people without risking having their iPods messed up, or even have any of their "embarassing apps" be shown.

***Please don't flame on me if this is a stupid idea or can't be done. I just want suggestions for whoever is willing to make this, and also PLEASE, if you are willing to make this app, send me a PM so I can keep eyes open for when/if this is released (on Cydia)! Thank you.
  2. travis8_8

travis8_8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This would be really useful. It's like automatically combining all your settings in to one Winterboard theme. An app like this would be very useful for many people, me included. Even though I'm not even using a theme right now.
    I hope someone makes it!
  3. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hm. I wasn't really thinking about it that way, but what you're saying is pretty much what I'm asking for, except that I wanted this "theme" to be able to include folders/icons that I may not want to be shown, as well as any status bar settings, which currently I can only control with SBSettings. Also, I, at first, wanted it as an app. Better yet, make it an SBSettings toggle! For example: T1/T2 (T = theme)
  4. Quadrant

Quadrant New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, you can use Springback to backup your springboard. You can also use it to switch between backed up springboards. The app you're talking about sounds like it might have more functionality though.
  5. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ya Springback does the same thing.
  6. naf456

naf456 Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    i don't get it?
    why would you want to change from a mod/themed board to a normal one?

by the why Spring back does do it. it would just take Hec of a long time and with lose space on your flash memory.
  7. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did you not fully read my thread starter? One reason is so, say I let my friend use my iPod for whatever reason... I don't want him having the ability to mess with certain apps (including Cydia apps such as iFile *gasp*), or change my settings. Plus I found this Megan Fox wallpaper that I want to use that's a little to racy for the parents, if you know what I mean - so sue me.

Please Register or Log in to view images

And...

1) when you mean "Hec" of a long time, you mean to switch springboards or to backup my current springboard?
    2) when you mean "lose space on your flash memory" do you mean, like, temporarily? I have the MemoryInfo app that allows me to free up memory, as well as the option to respring with SBSettings, so I don't know why memory would be a problem. Unless you're talking about flash memory as in the iPod Touch's hard drive...? I've got like 2-3 GB left.
  8. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

i was a beta tester for springback. what it does is backup your springboard confiuration, so you can switch between say, an iNav theme, and an icon theme. it also comes inhandy when your springboard crashes. you can click a few buttons, then have your springboard back. i use this app often is i have 3 inav themes i like to use and quite a few icon themes.
  9. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright but are there any drawbacks? Does it take a toll on my harddrive? I have an 8GB iPod Touch.

And how long does it take to switch? Like... the same time it takes to Hard-Respring?
  10. Crossingman

Crossingman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You could make a command line app to switch between two preferences folder change the icon then respring