Can someone help me get started?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by itachi2121, Mar 5, 2010.

1. itachi2121

itachi2121 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi everybody at iPTF. I was wondering if anybody here could help me get started with iPhone Development and helping go on after so I actually learn how to do it? Please, I am getting an iMac but right now I'm stuck on a Windows 7 computer. Thank you in advance.

-Adil M.
    maxxor2121@gmail.com
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Dude, WTF? A few weeks ago you made an app idea thread and claimed you already knew iPhone development (and you bashed your fellow team member because he didn't).

There's tons of "beginning iPhone development" threads already with references to Xcode tutorials, books, etc.
  3. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Here is what I did (and it worked out nicely):

1. Learn an easier language first (such as Java or C).
    2. Go to Apple's Developer Page (developer.apple.com/iphone) and download the free iPhone SDK 3.1.3
    3. Get a copy of Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the SDK by Apress
    4. Do the projects in each chapter. MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL OF THE BORING TEXT THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, TOO. If you don't read the paragraphs that explain what each chunk of code does, then you won't learn anything.

Good Luck!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. ihax_ipt

ihax_ipt Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts

This.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I agree with the rest of your post, but I wouldn't necessarily regard C as "easier" than Obj-C; in fact, some things are even harder to implement because they haven't been automated for you (e.g. reference counting, multiple locales, sorting [although qsort is easy to use], data storage, key-value collections/hash tables, etc.)
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  7. itachi2121

itachi2121 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry about that. I've been lost with everything for a week or so now and can't remember half the things I put up. And I in that thread, I stated I was getting started but now my friend can't teach me anymore so I'm reffering to everyone at iPTF. Sorry about that.
  8. johnmabassa

johnmabassa Member

As far as I am concerned, you just need to have the n=basic knowledge of programming. There are n number of tutorials in the net and along with that you can get books named

1.Beginning Iphone Development
    2.Iphone Developer's cookbook -Erica Sadun
    3.iPhone SDK Application Development
    Building Applications for the AppStore
    By Jonathan Zdziarski

Thats it!!
  9. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you are looking into buying a book on programming, I highly suggest buying the ebook (if available) instead. I bought the Beginning iPhone Development book last summer, but found that it is very inconvenient to look down and the book, then up at the screen, then down at the book, then up at the screen, etc. I wish I had just gotten the ebook instead.
  10. johnmabassa

johnmabassa Member

Obviously it will be easy for you to copy the code and run it if you have an ebook, but I like the hardcopy,anyways it depends on the person. I have got 3 books but unfortunately I dont have a MAC now

....... and now trying to learn some Android stuff.

-John