Can somebody explain point of @2x files?

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by hoffster12, Aug 9, 2010.

1. hoffster12

hoffster12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ive been trying to theme my lockscreen and I downloaded the tap to unlock from cydia as a guide for iPhone4.
    Usually you just change the bottombarbkgndlock.png to a transparent blank image and the bottombarknobgrey.png to your tapper. In this theme however there's two images for both. They are the same image but one is double dimensions and has @2x at end of filename. Im assuming i'm only replacing two images on my iPhone not 4. So am i correct in assuming that the @2x file is for iPhone4 and the files w/out @2x are for anyone else with an iDevice other than iPhone4 that downloads the tapper package?
    Also, the red, green, and grey tappers have files named bottombarknob(color)@2x.pngBK. What is the pngBK file doing?

Secondly, I've been trying to theme the iPod music player(play, pause, next, volume slider) but can't. The stock 4.0 themes are completely wrong as far as i can tell and i don't know where to put my files for the music player. Can somebody give me a filepath for where to put these or does anybody not know because no theme's filepath(even those claiming to work for iphone4 in the iphone4 theming thread)have worked at all.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
  2. hoffster12

hoffster12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Ghostpatrol

Ghostpatrol New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    one is to use as a file in winterboard. the other is to tell the iphone 4 that the file needs to be timed by to for it to display correctly. due to the new size dimensions.
  4. procharged

procharged Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I believe since the iPhone 4 has 2x the pixels as older ones (320x480 to 640x960), but in the same 3.5 inch screen , the icons and what not on older phones are something like 57x57 the iPhone 4 would be 114x114(although I have heard to make the icons 118x120). An icon of 114x114 on an older phone would literally look twice as big on the screen so I'm thinking the @2x has something to do with that but I'm not entirely positive exactly what is does to the file other than tell the iPhone 4 to use that file, but I have tried files without it and it work so idk?
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    A theme that works (well) on the iPhone 4 and older devices must have two versions of each image: one, "normal" resolution, with the "normal" filename, and another, Retina-ready, with the "@2x" appended to the "normal" filename. iOS automatically loads the correct image depending on the device.
  6. hoffster12

hoffster12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok that makes sense. thanks guys.
    any1 know how to get the ipod player to theme?