can somebody clarify a few things for me please..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheapfame, Sep 13, 2008.

1. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hi

I'm relatively new to the touch/what can / cant be done with it..... there are a few things which I dont understand.
    I am running 1.1.5 atm and i'm pretty sure its jailbreaked cos I have the Ziphone icon on the touch home screen ? What was the point of me jailbreaking ? I want applications but have no app icon or apparent ability to download them ? Not interested in flashing firmware or whatever, I just want to be able to run apps and dl them. OK. if at current i cannot dl apps etc and need to go to 2.1 firmware then I will. BUT......most of my music/movies/ are only on the touch, not in my itunes library or even on the pc hd. If I update to 2.1 using itunes, will i lose this content ?

Thankyou in advance !
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ok here we go.

1.1.5 does not have the appstore, meaning no official apps from Apple
    1.1.5 can run jailbroken apps, downloadable through installer.app and cydia.app

2.0 and above has the appstore, this firmware costs $9.99 to upgrade to (or at your own discretion download it using google, please note that this is not allowed to be discussed on these forums)

2.0 and above has been jailbroken, this means you can run appstore apps (made by apple) along side with jailbroken apps (from installer and cydia)

To jailbreak 2.0 and above you need the 2.0 firmware and either, pwnage tool, winpwn, or quickpwn. There are threads on how to do this.

You can download all appstore apps for free, but again this is not allowed to be discused on this forum. However a google search for mobileinstallation will give you an answer.

Your music will need to be backed up onto your computer before you restore, a quick google search of "ipod to computer" will give you some results.
  3. cheapfame

cheapfame New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks pal...

its a tricky web when you first walk in !