Can I use orb if I have a DirecTV HDDVR?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by freelancer91, May 28, 2008.

1. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, I installed orb on my computer and ipod. I'm trying to set up my TV, but its asking me how my set box is connected. I haven't used cable TV in over a decade, but I think that is exclusively a cable term. I have an almost brand new Directv HDDVR box. Will this work with orb?
  2. soupdude551

soupdude551 New Member

yea somebody answer this please, i have direct tv also and was wondering this
  3. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, I think I got it set up (I chose no setbox and chose my local satellite provider. When I logged in after fowarding the port to my PC, it showed all the shows that were currently on, but when I tried to watch them, they all said Orb failed to play this medium. What gives?
  4. karl33

karl33 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've found that most of the time when you get that error it's your TV tuner card. It probably has a software mpeg2 encoder. Orb needs a hardware encoder for it to work properly. Check at the Orb support site to see if your tuner is listed as a supported device.
  5. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, here's a picture of my DVR box. I noticed that in the bottom right corner on the front there was a panel that said open. Inside, a credit card-like device is inserted. Is this the tuner card? Here's a picture of the front and back. I have removed a few serial codes and such so that none of you can hack into my system.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

6. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. bindle

bindle Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hi,

i'm not sure if i read right, but it seems you don't have a tv tuner card attached to your PC?
    first you need a tv tuner card in your PC. it's either a PCI/PCI-e, or USB accessory for your computer. it's NOT part of your cable/directv box.
    you will connect your directv box to your tv tuner card in your PC.

just confirm for me that you have the tv tuner set up and connected properly first before worrying about channels.

i believe if you change channels on your box using a remote, you'd also need an IR blaster to change channels with ORB. it's a device that connects to your PC, and the other end is an infrared thing that sits in front of your box. when orb needs to change channels, it mimics your remote and tells the box to change the channel.
  8. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh....well that clears quite a bit up. I don't have any of those things hooked up. Thanks!