Can I still Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrbfromd, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mrbfromd

mrbfromd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi, my first post here so. I have been going over these forums and other sites looking for an answer but seem to just be getting more confused. I have a 3rd gen ipod touch running 3.1.3. I have been told I can no longer copy my shsh I think it's called, is this true? I don't want to attempt to do the jailbreak without being able to revert back. Also, I have been told that I need to update to 4.0, I don't really want to do this because of all the problems I have been hearing about. Please help, I really want to have all the jailbroken features but can't seem to find the info I need. I appreciate any help since I am new to this. Please ask if you need any more info.
  2. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    1. You can't save your SHSH's for 3.x anymore because apple stopped signing that firmware.
    2. You don't need to update to 4.0 (unless you wan't to)
    3. What problems are you talking about?
    4. If your not already jailbroken you can just go to Safari and go to jailbreakme.com and slide to jailbreak or just use spirit
    Anything else you need answered?
  3. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah you can't get back to 3.1.3 now. You can jailbreak with spirit which is very safe, i have never had issues with it. On September 1st ios 4.1 should come out which will be alot more stable and apparently faster than 4.0. There should be a jailbreak soon after that. Backup your blob for 4.0.2 because any jailbreak in the future will work for that firmware, and it's good to have a jailbreakable firmware to go back to
  4. mrbfromd

mrbfromd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for responding so fast.

1. That sucks.
    2. Awesome
    3. I have mainly heard that it drastically reduces the battery life, that's my main issue with it. Is this really the case?
    4. I went to that site and it said that crashes are likely on my os version so I backed off to ask about that stuff here.

And if I run into problems since I can't save my current SHSH's would that mean I would have to go to 4.0? Is that even possible? thanks for the help.
  5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    1. The whole battery thing is mostly because wifi stays on and if you have any open apps in the multitasking bar that can also drain your battery
    2. Im guessing your not Jailbroken. So you can use Spirit to jailbreak. (Just make sure that you don't have iTunes 9.2 or later). Looks like I wasn't the only one having the 3.1.3 Jailbreakme problem. I had to downgrade iTunes just to use Spirit to jailbreak.
    3. Possibly, yes you would have to go to 4.0. You could try using TinyUmbrella to get your SHSH blobs because I was able to save my 3.1.3 blobs last week
  6. mrbfromd

mrbfromd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm not jailbroken but i have itunes 9.2.1.5 so how do i downgrade itunes? Are there any problems doing so? That's what stopped me from using Spirit in the first place.

I downloaded TinyUmbrella and ran it but it saved 4.0.2 blobs so that's not working, thanks though.
  7. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Spirit works fine with 9.2 and up (as far as I know).
  8. mrbfromd

mrbfromd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I have heard this but on their site it says not to so I'm kinda weary about trying it out.
  9. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    They're just being safe because that's what it was meant for. The fact that it works still is an extra thing. I've jailbroken 4 iPods and an iPhone 3g with iTunes 9.2.1

Also, it wouldn't break your iPod or anything if you tried it. It just wouldn't work is all. But it's your choice, do what you feel is safe for you.
  10. mrbfromd

mrbfromd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Did you use Spirit on those devices? If it doesn't work do I have to restore the os? I want to, I'm just so new to it I'm kinda paranoid. I have heard of people bricking there device but I'm not sure how this would happen. I just wanna make sure I know ALL the risks before I jump into this, and to have all the knowledge I can get.