Can I remove old firmwares?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Oct 13, 2008.

1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well I was doing some browsing and noticed iTunes saves all my old firmwares to. They're saved here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Well, I was wondering. Can I delete all the old ones and just leave 2.1 Restore in there? Will something terribly bad happen if I do? You see, all those firmwares take up nearly a gig and a half on my HD, and when you have 5 people in your family all sharing a computer, 3 of which have iPods, all with music, and your computer was bought nearly 4 years ago by your nooby Dad who only got a 30 gig hard drive. You're really pressed for space. So can I delete those old firmware from there?
  2. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    nope you can do that youll just have to find them online again if you ever wanted to downgrade. but if you plan on staying on 2.1 go ahead and delete them
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

if your not gonna use them again
    then yea
    if your gonna use them
    then no
  4. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, thanks guys. But what about the MobileSync files. You guys know if I can delete those? They take up 2 gigs! Location of those:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    well those are backups, you can delete them, just make sure you backup your ipod again before you restore next time and it wont take up as much
  6. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well I just sold my iPod touch, so I don't even have any iPod at the moment. So it would be safe to delete those? I'm planning on buying the 2G, and I'm pretty sure I can't restore all my settings etc. from a backup of a 1G. So would it be safe to just delete those all?
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You can delete backups from Preferences, actually. Look at the Devices tab and it should show all the backups there. Pick a backup, then press the Delete Backup button.
  8. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What backups can you delete though? All but the most recent?