Can I mount a Linux network folder on my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hyperdellic, Dec 16, 2008.

1. hyperdellic

hyperdellic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can I mount a Linux network folder on my iPod?

OK, so we all know how to ssh into an iPod and I can even sshfs into my iPod touch to mount it as a system folder (to use with Amarok and share the files seemlessly) . But how can I mount one of my Linux Opensuse 10.3 system folders on my iPod Touch? The goal here is to play video from my desktop over a wi-fi network without having to copy it from my system to the iPod. I know, it's easier to just copy, but I want the drive space on my iPod for music. Any Linux or iPod gurus out there with a solid solution (one that doesn't involve signing up for some kind of web storage service)?

I'm using Opensuse 10.3 with KDE 3.5.9 and iPod Touch Firmware 2.2 (1st generation iPod Touch)

Please help,.... I've searched hi and low!
    Hyperdellic
  2. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I don't think you can.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    so let me get this striaght..

you want.. a video on ur linux hard drive... to play on your ipod... without it being on the ipod itself... being streamed over your local network to the ipod?
  4. hyperdellic

hyperdellic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeppers. Exactly. (touches nose)

I can do it with a HP laptop with Vista (yuck, by the way,.... vista blows) and a PC tower with XP. I don't see why you can't do it with the iPod, it basically being a tiny little Unix machine. Just can't figure the wizardry to do it. I think ssh or sshfs is the key, but not a clue as to how to make it happen. On Opensuse 10.3 (my platform) all I gotta do is plug my info into this code:

sshfs "user name"@"IP address":/home/username/Folder media/"named share folder"

and it mounts the iPod directory on my system. Now I want to go the other way and mount a linux directory on the ipod.
  5. hyperdellic

hyperdellic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nobody's got nothing?... Really?

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm sad,.... I thought this was the place to look. Very sad indeed.
  6. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    err i think you could possibly do something like that along the lines of the app "Orb Live"
    i played scarface over it in 1.1.x days, and i believe its been ported to 2.x
  7. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you tried entering that command in MobileTerminal
  8. hyperdellic

hyperdellic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Don't wanna have to pay for it,... orb kinda bites too (and theres no Linux server yet). Network middlemen are a hassle. I want to keep it simple,.... just me and my devices.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yeah, no go. It said the command was not found. I tried a few variations and similar commands,.. but nutt'n. I know, in my gut, this can be done. I find it hard to believe no one has tried this sort of thing yet. I think we need a mac os network pro to figure this out. Unfortunately, this is the only posting I've gotten replys to. Help me O-B-Wan Kenobi, yer my only hope!!!
  9. deathalele

deathalele New Member

I'm planning on writing a little (or big) bash script that will do something similar to this.
    i'l report back
  10. penguinbassist

penguinbassist New Member

gcc for iPod

There's a gcc for iPod Touch/iPhone. Could you copy the source code over and compile it? This is theoretical, I haven't tried it but it should work.