iOS 3.1 Can I get the modded ispw from someone and jailbreak on Win

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by iPhondTouch3G, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ya, so can i do that?
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    That would be illegal.
  3. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yes you can
  4. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just wait for the Dev-Team or Chronic Dev-team to make something for Windows. I am on Windows Vista so I'm waiting too.

And that would be illegal.
  5. thekodanator

thekodanator Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yay for Macbook!! lol I still need to download 3.1. I'll probably do it next week.
  6. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    why would that be illegal? jailbreaking is legal, and i already have 3.1.1, so a modded ispw isnt made by apple so it isnt illegal right?
  7. moshonas

moshonas Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    To make it legal you must prove to the person that you have bought the firmware and they can send it to you, otherwise they are sending you the 3.0 firmware-custom- for free; and which that is illegal.
  8. J Paul

J Paul New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why is this so often confused?

It's not "illegal", it's against the license agreement. EULA doesn't stand for "End User Legality Agreement", it means "End User License Agreement".

It's not illegal to distribute these firmwares for free, it is against the license agreement to which you agree when you use the software. The license agreement states that you may only posses a single machine-readable copy of the firmware file. The EULA also states that you may not alter or reverse-engineer this machine-readable copy. Doing these things invalidates your license to use the product, according to Apple's terms. By possessing or using or making a custom firmware, you have already invalidated your license agreement with Apple, and therefore, it is inconsequential to worry about it further. Everyone on this entire board has probably invalidated their original license agreement in some way or another, so who cares?

Just because Apple doesn't like something doesn't make it illegal. You may not be using the software with a proper license to do so, but 99% of IPTF probably runs off an invalidated license.

And who really cares what kind of agreement you have with Apple? f*** APPLE. I personally don't give half a f***ing squirrel fart what they think about what I do with my device. They can go die in a large fire if they think that an invalid license is going to stop me, or any other user for that matter, from taking full control and possession of their product.

Also, their license agreement is totally unenforceable anyway, so the entire thing is null. Being that you simply cannot load a functional third party operating system to the device (as far as I know), they cannot feasibly stop you from using the software. You may not own the software, but you own the product fair and square, and in Apple's EULA, it states that you are forbidden to use the software upon license termination, however, being that it is impossible to use the device without the software, I consider the EULA unenforceable and therefore null and void.
  9. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The generalisation we make (for simplicity) is that redistributing copyright code is illegal. As piracy or App Store apps is illegal, so is redistributing possibly paid-for firmwares, whether in original form or reverse engineered.

Discussion of these topics is not permitted on iPtF.

Thank you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.