Can I do this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Baker5, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I know that its not the same but i want to purchase a iPhone 3GS and use it without data. Yes, i know that it wont be as good as having data but i cant afford the data plan.

I do know that it is possible to use a iPhone 3g without a data plan cause like 5 of my friends are doing it by jailbreaking and unlocking then going to a site that changes the apn to disable data.

So shouldn't it also work with the 3GS, because i dont want to get stuck having to pay a data plan or tell AT&T it was a trial and go back to a crap phone and leave the iPhone there as a iPod.

In summary, do any of you have a 3GS without data or will it at least work.
  2. boncelee

boncelee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i have a 3GS that i purchased online direct from apple store (unlocked). i used this without a data plan with no problems.
    I have used it using a post-paid sim in Australia, and pre-paid sims in Singapore and Malaysia, all with no problems.

Edit: the new 4.0 software includes a "switch" so you can turn off cellular data, this makes the process much simpler.
  3. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Thanks for the reply. I live in the US and already have AT&T with the data plan blocked. So it should work if i just unlock and jailbreak it, then just put in my sim card right?
  4. SPGreenawalt

SPGreenawalt Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I am not exactly sure since I am not a iPhone owner but once jailbreaking there is a sbsettings toggle to disable 3g. IF AT&T doesn't know you have a iphone/don't use data plan they probably wouldnt put it on there. This is all I can tell you since I don't have a iPhone for sole reason of data plan.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. boncelee

boncelee New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm not sure that you would need to jailbreak it. Mine isn't jailbroken.
    As mentioned above the 4.0 software update on my 3gs gives an easy on/off option for data.
    When i'm in Oz i turn it off as the data plan prices are outrageous and simply connect via my home network.
    Whilst here in Malaysia they have a very good price data plan so i leave it on at all times.

2nd Edit: added pic showing cellular data on/off toggle

Attached Files:

6. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Even though you turn off 3G wont it still revert to Egde? I have a strong Wifi at my house and most places i go will also have strong connections. I just dont want to run up a bill between those places without Wifi.
  7. mastermatt63

mastermatt63 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    yea you can disable data in sbsettings, Ive been doing it for a few months now. I just got an annoying error message saying "could not connect to cellular data network" Trust me, you won't get charged.
  8. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Alright sounds good. Gonna start checking out craigslist to find a 3GS. Thanks for all the proof that it works.