can i buy iphone in united states, bring to canada and unlock here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twerk, Nov 23, 2007.

1. twerk

twerk New Member

can i go to the lovely apple store in new york

buy an iphone
    take it to canada
    get someone offering "unlocking services" to open it up take the at&t sim card out put my rogers one in

then have my service automatically without activation or syncing with itunes?!
  2. danwr39

danwr39 New Member

Hello,

from what i've read on the net; at the moment you can only activate and jailbreak the new iphones OOB 1.1.2 (which you would probably be getting if you get a new one from the store). This would let you use the iphone as an ipod touch device (ie. no cellular/cellular data service). However, the unlock for the phone is not yet available....that is unless you get a 1.1.1 phone. Once the unlock comes out, I think it is possible to use it with a Rogers sim.

(someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Regards,
    Dan
  3. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    downgrade it but holding shift and click on update and choose the 1.1.1 file ( download it by searching google ) and there its 1.1.1
  4. doughboy_9245

doughboy_9245 New Member

twerk, do you live in Canada? I too am located in Canada
    I might be getting an iphone soon, because some of my family is going to the US for the Black friday shopping and coming back home(Canada) and i think they are picking up an iphone for me too. Ill try it IF i get it and ill report back here. :]

@Dan
    I think that you can downgrade the iphone/ipod touch firmware by using what Weirdwilli posted, I THINK it can be done that way. Im not sure i havent exactly tried. i googled the iphone 1.1.2 downgrade and the elite dev team said it could be downgraded so i think even if you get the 1.1.2 version you can still downgrade and unlock the iphone.
  5. ojx

ojx Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    if the iphone came with software 1.1.1 and lower, then you can unlock it and use ROGERS in canada. but if the iphone you bought came with 1.1.2 out of the box then you're out of luck.
  6. mzkaye729

mzkaye729 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Thats true. Out-of-the-box 1.1.2 can only be jailbroken but not unlocked. However, you can tell which firmware an iPhone has by looking at the serial number on the back of the box.
  7. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I sure hope the iPhone will eventually crawl up the 49th parallel

Please Register or Log in to view images

Apple should've thought about their Canadian friends before their European ones (no offence), i mean we live right across the border

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. endzone

endzone New Member

i need help with my iphone if u can it is 04.02.13_G
    can be jailbreak and unlock or not
  9. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What is it? Your serial number?
  10. bricks

bricks New Member

Hey m8, give this a look. I'm canadian as well and have been looking into this.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/

This link is an amazing resource for us Canucks looking to unlock and use the iPhone in Canada. The one thing that I must warn you about is that Rogers atm in canada only offers 10mb per month for an additional 10$ on your bill. Any internet usage in excess of that results in a 0.15$/KB fee. That can add up REALLY fast browsing sites like youtube and whatnot. Bear that in mind as we as canadians are saddled with some of the highest cell phone fees in the world with regards to data.

From what I can tell given your modem model number, you have 1.1.2. So you'll have to downgrade as pointed out above (at your own risk of course) following one of the many detailed guides available on the net, or just wait until someone is crafty enough to crack it as they have all other firmware versions to date. It's really just a waiting game.