can bestbuy do this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrazEkid362, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CrazEkid362

CrazEkid362 New Member

im so pissed rite now i just drove like 30 min to my nearest bestbuy cause they said they had some 8gbs left. i got there and it literaly took them 15 min just to find the ipod and to bring it to the front desk. and then when they finally bring it up, the dick of a cashier wouldnt let me buy it cause i had my moms credit card and she gave me permission to use it and i was gonna sign my name and everything. he wouldnt let me buy even after pleading i would call my mom and he could talk to her. i just walked out and now im in a sh*t mood. can they do that?
  2. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

yes, they can, they have reason to believe its stolen
  3. That Kid

That Kid New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You really shouldn't sign after paying with someone else's credit card. The owner should sign.
  4. CrazEkid362

CrazEkid362 New Member

i just googled it and they said as long as your 18, have permission and sign your own name it should be okay. so i think they were in the wrong.
  5. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Yeah they can. By law only the card holder can use the card that has their name on it, unless they have a joint account and that usually happens between a husband and wife.

The casher did the right thing. If he/she let it go, they could have lost their job. Just be lucky AP didn't take you to the holding room and called the police.

Also, you can't use someones credit card and sign your name. the card holder is the only one that can use their card and sign their own name.

You just have to have your mom come with you to the store.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    you believe everything you see on Google?

ONLY THE CARD HOLDER CAN SIGN.

The only workaround is if your mom adds you to her account and you get your own card that is linked to her account.This would to be done in writing, at the bank and your mom would be the one to add you to her account.
  6. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Did you try to show them your ID to prove you have the same last name?
  7. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    That doesn't matter. Someone else could have the same name.

Look at my last name. Lots of Hispanics have my same last name. Lots could have my first name too.

with a credit card, its considered fraud if you use someone elses card. Even if you get permission you still could get denied since the cardholders name does not match that of your own.
  8. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    even if he proves that it's his moms credit card, how do they know he's using it with her permission? it's still a liability issue. best buy is just covering their ass. they aren't in the wrong here.
  9. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Those are good points. I remember once I did this with my moms credit card, and she gave me her ID too
  10. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Exactly. Saying "well my mom said I can use it!" doesn't mean anything to Best Buy. They will just laugh and say "your mom would need to come here and pay for it her self"

Look at it this way. If you are using a someone elses credit card with out their permission (or use a stolen credit card) the cardholder could put a block on the card and then cancel it. Best buy would loose a sale as they will need to repay the money back to the card holder. The card holder would then need to get a new card with new numbers. I been though that with my Debit card. Its not cool. its a pain in the ass.

also the card holder could file charges.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

I hope you look like your mom because a lot of places will STILL deny you. How do they know you didn't steal her ID along with the credit card?