Can Apple know if my iPod is jailbroken?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JusTiNcReDiBLe, Sep 2, 2009.

1. JusTiNcReDiBLe

JusTiNcReDiBLe Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This has probably been mentioned before, but as a different issue, like returning a jailbroken iPod, which, here, is not the case. What I'm asking is: is it possible that Apple could plant some kind of file in my 3.0 firmware that would send information back to Apple and tell them that my iPod is jailbroken?

I could see how this could happen, although I'm sure it is very unlikely they would do so, since if they did, they would lose a lot of customers. Because... c'mon, yeah of course app developers will be "losing" money (more like "not making as much money as they could be making), but they won't risk not having returning customers right?

Still, it is 100% possible for Apple to do this. Now the real questions are: where would this file be in my file system, how would it work, and how would could prevent it (if we could at all).
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    How should we know?!
    It's obvious that if Apple wanted to do this they would hide it somewhere.
    Or probably it won't even be a file stored on your system..
    I doubt they will ever do that 'cause it's kind of like Invasion of Privacy...
  3. chiso165wh

chiso165wh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They probably know who jailbreaks... But look at it this way:

Apple and the 'iPod-owning dudes' [iPOD] are a married couple. Apple one day was snooping around and discovered a horrible secret: iPOD is cheating on her. She wonders why, and realizes that it is simply for pleasure...good, customizable pleasure. So rather than lose iPOD by confronting iPOD with the truth, Apple chooses to look the other way and prolong her relationship with iPOD...you know, for the children.
  4. nanou

nanou New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why would apple do that ?
    And how would they collect the infos? Evertime you sync you device to itunes?
    If so they would probably just use itunes to collect info on all ipod/iphone without having to implant s**t on your firmware.

Like the guy above said Apple sure knows that phones and ipods are jailbroken they just decide to close their eyes on the "cheating"
  5. Tarthen

Tarthen New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, TECHNICALLY, all they need to do to find out it's jailbroken is look for the telltale signs - SSH, /Library/Themes, Cydia.app....

And as iTunes can access /, then it's entirely possible that an upgraded iTunes could have this functionality. But, I'm pretty sure it's against the law - it is YOUR device, after all.