Can anyone help me with customising my iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by stupidfreeregistration, Sep 24, 2008.

1. stupidfreeregistration

stupidfreeregistration New Member

Hey guys, i'm assuming this is the right forum. To be honest, your forum structure is incredibly confusing to me. Sorry if this isn't in the right place.

So it's come to this. I bought my iPod Touch today, and the idea of customising it sounded very fun, so i was a bit disappointed when i discovered you couldn't do this natively, which is ridiculous. So i figured there would probably be quite an online movement of people who would find a way. I generally don't post on forums to ask this type of question, I scour the internet and google every phrase i can think of and follow any links that look like they might point in the right direction. And this is precisely what i've been doing for about 5 hours now.
    I have finally given up, i have a headache, my eyes are strained, and i'm annoyed.

So far my experience with iPod Touch customisation is this: There are a lot of out dated resources pertaining to older versions of iPod software, old versions of third-party software, lots of terms expressed with no explanation of what they mean, a large quantity of software items or files that are required with no explanation of what they are or where to get them, acronyms that aren't defined. Even this comprehensive list of instructions (http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/itouch-modding/80381-ultimate-itouch-modding-guide.html) fails to explain a number of steps, and doesn't provide any specific order. I have never had so much trouble finding out how to do something with a piece of technology. I am generally quite good at finding and interpreting things to do with modding, but this seems like there's this giant group of people in-the-know, and i can't fathom how they learnt any of it. I have googled everything i've found, but when i check out the results, most of them are pointing at very old posts or pages that are no longer viable.

There are a couple of things i want to clarify which i've been looking all over the place for.
    Firstly, what is this "version 1.1.3" i keep seeing everywhere? or "version 1.1.4"? What is it the version of? The firmware version for my iPod touch is 2.1, there is only one decimal in there, which suggests that everyone else is referring to the version of something else.

Another thing is this: I don't have WiFi. Everyone assumes I do. I have managed to Jailbreak my phone using the new 2.1 winpwn, and have acquired iPhoneBrowser, which i had hoped would allow me to just drag over files i download and allow me to install them with the new installer option i have. Alas i have no idea where to put the files i download. Apparently you have to do something rather complicated in order to use another partition on the drive, as the original app partition is very small. The place i read this however was a year out of date, and i don't really want to go trying something that might no longer be relevant.

So yeah, so far i have found very little in the way of conclusive instructions or elaborate details. This whole thing seems like a pink elephant of an enigma shrouded in mystery and darkness. It confuses me how something that spans the internet this far, and has such a large number of subscribers, be so hard to get around. I guess the sheer number of people chirping in with overly technical terms has gotten the better of me. Also it's 3 in the morning.

Well anyway, i apologise if this is in the wrong place, and i apologise even more for the fact that you guys probably get this type of question newbie a lot. (however i haven't found that many people asking it at all).

Thankyou so much for any help or resources you can provide me with.
  2. beeshabo

beeshabo Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    WOW!! that's a lot of typing you did Lol

Well, no need to get frustrated or annoyed, it's very simple really.....and yes, the forums are clogged with multiple threads being posted regarding the SAME issues, no one likes to search. But I feel you on the confusion part. as for 1.3 and 1.4, yes, that refers to firmwares. You're running the latest (2.1).

And to be honest, you're gonna have some trouble Modding your touch WITHOUT Wifi, there are ways around it, but it's gonna take more work.

If you could get wifi, I'd suggest downloading WinterBoard (for themes) and MakeItMine (to change the banner), those are really the only two I use for Modding, Oh, well there is Customize too, it's fairly useless, but it works good for changinr the text on your slider bar.

You can download all this via Cydia, but then again, you need a wifi connection to do so.

It takes very little time to understand how this SSH, Modding and Downloading stuff works, unless you're a complete idiot.

Just do some YouTube searches, you'll find VERY useful info there, and just browse the forums, my touch is COMPLETELY customized in EVERY WAY and I've only had it for about a month, you'll pick up on it. Just be patient
  3. xFinch713x

xFinch713x New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    and if you need more help besides youtube, like talking to someone, being able to ask them questions, log onto irc using the server irc.freenode.net (or just select freenode on some clients) and go to the channel #ipodtouchfans or #zodttd and im almost positive someone will help you (to join channels type /join (channel name [including #])) some good irc clients for windows are mirc or xchat, and for osx and linux the only client i know of is xchat. there are also web clients, such as mibbit.com, but sometimes those are blocked/banned on certain irc channels (such as #ipodtouchfans). so you can try with that at first, and then if it doesnt let you join, try downloading one. good luck, and il help you if you join either channel.
  4. stupidfreeregistration

Thanks a lot for the info guys, really appreciate the advice

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow. You wrote a lot. I'm glad to see smart people in this world especially on this forum...

Any questions just ask! Or you can ask me as well.
  6. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    dont call it an Touch. its disrespectful.
  7. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Really ..........
  8. matt1308

matt1308 Banned

okay, theming without wi-fi is dificult to start off... you can use an FTP client such as WinSCP without wi-fi, providing you download iTunnel, google then both and read the guide provided with iTunnel, the only problem with doing this is that you would have to create all the folders needed for winterboard customisation yourself... i suggest finding a wi-fi connection somewhere and downloading Winterboard from Cydia, after that there are very simple steps you can take to them your ipod
  9. stupidfreeregistration

Disrespectful to who? This electronic piece of technology isn't some kind of deity you know. In fact, assigning it a nickname such as the 'Touch' or 'iTouch' is affirming an identity to it, as though it's your friend that you are fond of. If anything, it's respecting it even more by allocating your personal connection to it. To be honest, i'm surprised at how many people are throwing wobblies all over the internet about people calling it a Touch or iTouch. Do you expect everyone to type out the full name each time they refer to it? No offense, but get over it.

iTouch532: Thanks mate!

matt1308: Cheers for the heads-up. I actually accessed someone's WiFi while waiting at a bus stop today on my way into town to pick up a usb wifi transmitter, but i can't seem to get ahold of the one i want anywhere, barely anywhere sells it on the internet, and those that do are too expensive or out of stock. So anyway, i downloaded and installed Winterboard (Not Summerboard however, i didn't have that much time). In fact, i'm still getting my head around the interface for Cydia, and how to find the things i need to download.
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

An iTouch is a wireless keyboard made by Logitech.

It's an iPod Touch, and yes, I expect you to write out the full name every time.