Can an iPhone be used without an AT&T contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noise..., Jun 9, 2009.

1. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Basically, as an iPod Touch? There's no AT&T service in my area, but I'd love to have an iPhone for the camera over an iPod Touch.

Will it work without a contract, or any sort of connection to AT&T, or does it have to be activated through them to work?
  2. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As far as I know AT&T will not sell you an iPhone without a contact. In the event that hey do, they often sell for 600-800. Might want to take a look at ebay.

Obviously, you will not have any cellular network service, that includes 2g and 3g. You'll still have WiFI but I'm not entirely sure in regards to the GPS module.
  3. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    first off, the iphone can be unlocked with yellowsnow hack to be used with any GSM carrier (T-Mobile for example).

however, if youre saying you want an iphone to be used without any carrier at all it is very easy. You must buy one off ebay or from someone else because AT&T does not sell ihpones without a contract.

Once you get a hold of an iphone, simply download quickpwn (for windows), and follow the instructions in the program to Jailbreak the iphone. once the iphone is jailbroken (NOT unlocked, since you dont want any carrier), it will let you used it as though it were an ipod touch. that is, it wont show the insert sim screen and lock down the phone if theres no SIM inserted.
  4. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Cool, thanks.

I'd go with a different carrier, but there isn't ANY GSM service in my area. It's all Verizon.
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You will have to activate the iPhone but there are multiple ways to do that and no you do not have to have any network coverage to do so.

Also, if you use it without any SIM inserted you will get the popup warning "No SIM installed" every time (I believe) you get off the unlock screen.

YellowSn0w will not work on all iPhones (at least not right now).
  6. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

You have to activate the phone by doing this:
    -Borrow a friend's AT&T SIM and pop it in your iPhone.
    -Plug into iTunes

after you get to Slide to Unlock, pop out the SIM. Done.
  7. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just get it
    open iTunes to 'open/unlock' the phone (It comes in recovery mode, you have to connect to iTunes)

and then close iTunes, and use QuickPwn to jailbreak it