Can a laptop give off a wireless signal for the iPod Touch 2nd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by StillSoundRG, Mar 15, 2009.

1. StillSoundRG

StillSoundRG New Member

I'll be going to Fort Bliss, Texas tomorrow, and I'll have my brand new HP HDX18 laptop, my Samsung Instinct, and my untethered jailbroken 2nd Gen iTouch.

I'll be able to use the internet from my phone and tether it to my laptop so I can have internet on it. Cydia needs wireless (or a cell phone carrier) if I'm not mistaken.

Is there any way that my computer can give off a wireless internet signal that my iPod can detect and use? I'm not even sure this is all possible, so pardon my iggnorance.

If it matters, both my phone (obviously) and my computer have bluetooth capabilities, but I think bluetooth is just for connectivity and file sharing.

I appreciate any and all feedback.
  2. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

On Windows it is a pain (prob even worse on vista) but you basically have to set up your internet from your cell to be shared, and share it through the wireless.
    sorry I do not have more detail but I have no idea how to do it on windows properly, on OS X it is so damn easy!
  3. InsertiPodHere

InsertiPodHere New Member

Since you said your laptop is new I assume it's running vista or 7.

Go to the wireless thing on the taskbar, click make a new network and select adhoc. This will only work if your phone is giving Internet in Bluetooth and not wifi.

I recommand having WEP just in case of freeloaders.

Make sure you turn on Internet sharing at the very last screen.

Sorry if this is unclear I did it on my iPod

The same process can be done on XP but it's stupidly complicated.
    I agree with guy above me. It's much easier on macs unless you want WEP in which case vista and leopard takes about the same time and effort to set up.
  4. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    As long as you have a connection on you laptop (via bluetooh PAN to your phone)
    you can create an ad-hoc network and enable share internet connection on the WLAN interface so you ipod will get an IP address.
  5. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    ok.. so in theory... could this work even if i don't have a cell phone giving my laptop a connection? like i have a laptop set up to my wifi, but my father has my wifi locked down tight, and hidden, and has it so that if my ipod's IP isn't in the system, the wifi won't let me in... idk... could i set up the adhoc connection to get wifi on my ipod that way? just a question..
  6. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just go into your router and enable your iPods ip address.
  7. trotter

trotter New Member

I've been racking my brain for days now and have been searching far and wide over the internet but im stuck. I have a ipod touch 2g jailbroken and i have been using a adhoc network from my laptop which is connected to the internet through cable. My problem is that recently i havent been able to use adhoc anymore because it either says limited connectivity or it says local, i can connect to the network on my ipod but not to the internet. I dont know if i may have changed something regarding ip addresse's or not and would be grateful if anyone could help. Thank you
  8. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i would. but i don't know any of the passwords or anything... T_T