Can 2.0 be unlocked? done a search but no luck

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wardy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. wardy

wardy New Member

Hi everyone

I have done a search but i have had no luck. On the internet there are rumors that it has been unlocked but i wanted to hear what you have to say.

I'm buying my brothers old 8gb iphone off him and i want to put my t-mobile sim card in it and update to 2.0.

Can i do this or will i have to stay on 1.1.4 untill a unlock is done. I'm not to bothered about jailbreaking the iphone, just unlocking it.

Any help appreciated thanks.
  2. SUPERBXD

SUPERBXD Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you can't unlock firmware 2.0 just yet. hopefully we will.
  3. wardy

wardy New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. May be best to get it and stay on 1.1.4 for now. Think my brother was on about upgrading the phone to 2.0.

Another question. If he upgrades to 2.0 and i connect it to my pc will i have to restore? and im quessing it will restore to 2.0 not 1.1.4?

Sorry i have only got a ipod touch so i don't know how it works with iphones.
  4. SUPERBXD

SUPERBXD Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    okay ,
    when your brother buys the iPhone 2.0 upgrade - 9.99$
    iTunes will automatically transfer the purchase to your computer and on friday , when you buy it , just update your iPod / iPhone's Firmware to 2.0 :]
  5. wardy

wardy New Member

Sadly though i wouldn't be able to use it as i have a t-mobile sim card and 2.0 can't be unlocked. Shame, may just buy it and keep it in storage untill 2.0 can be unlocked. He only wants £150 for it. Better then £250/300 on ebay lol
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    heck, i will pay £200 for it ^^
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It will be unlocked eventually and I wouldn't be surprised if it an unlocked was released the same day as 2.0. The betas have been floating around for a long time now.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an unlocked iphone on t-mobile. But I'm confident that it will be unlock. If not Friday then some short time there after.

The only problem I see is the new encryption used on the latest build. The iphone dev-team has already proven that there unlock can be used on 2.0 with previous 2.0 builds.

Just have faith.
  8. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Unless I missed something, only iPod Touch users will have to pay the $9.99 for the 2.0/AppStore upgrade... Pretty sure that iPhone users get it free
  9. wardy

wardy New Member

Nice one, cheers for the replies and the information
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Hi everyone i need to pick your brains again. I thought it best to put it in this thread because its related rather then starting a new one.

Related to the above posts. If my brother upgrades his iphone to 2.0 on his pc and i buy it when i connect it to my pc it will need unlocking and activating, using ziphone or other programme.

Firstly which is the best programme to use to unlock and activate?

Secondly when i connect it to my pc will the iphone software be 2.0 or 1.1.4? i remember reading somewhere that 2.0 can't be downgraded too.

Thanks for the help so far