Review Camouflage

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by 48days, Jun 7, 2009.

1. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Camouflage

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Utilities
    Released: Apr 5, 2009
    Seller: High Gloss
    © 2008, High Gloss Software
    Version: 1.0.1
    0.2 MB

$1.99

Overview:

Camouflage, by High Gloss Software is a light, easy to use private browser. Camouflage is not meant to replace safari as many browsers are, yet camouflage is made to work with safari for a better mobile web-browsing experience. This app is very simple, it does what it's supposed to do, private browsing, nothing more, nothing less.

UI:
    Camouflage has very basic user interface, that is in many ways similar to safari. It's really a pick up and use UI, there's nothing new to learn and everything is really self-explanatory. The ease of use makes camouflage a truly convenient application, no matter what you're using it for.

Here are some scrnshts for a visual reference:

(via my iPod, as you can see camouflage is great to use to look at pretty much anything you'd prefer no one else that may use your iPod/iPhone see, like a birthday present for my girlfriend, excuse the custom font)

Functionality:
    Camouflage does exactly what it's supposed to do, almost flawlessly. Although it is definitely lacking an abundance of features this does not take away from the usefulness of the app. In addition to everything you'd expect in a private browsing app, camouflage also gives you the ability to turn on or off autorotate, which we all know can be annoying, and the ability to quick hide your current screen rather than quickly clicking the home button and forgetting the site you were on. All-in-all camouflage is extremely functional in all aspects.

Here are some more scrnshts for a visual reference:

(via my iPod, once again, excuse the custom font)

Graphics and Audio:
    Obviously there is no need for audio in camouflage except when watching videos (pg13 I presume) which it handles fine. As for the graphics, camouflage has a great icon that fits in perfectly. However the in-app graphics are quite a bit less aesthetically pleasing compared safari's. When it comes down to it, camouflage's graphics aren't great, but they don't take away from the functionality of the app in any way.

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Is it worth the price?

I'd say yes, as it is pretty useful and it is only $1.99. Although it only adds one feature to compared to safari I think it would be better situated at $0.99.

Does it have strong re-use value?

Until apple adds private browsing to safari, I'd say camouflage is here to stay.

Ratings: (out of five)
    UI: ★★★★ - basic and simple
    Functionality: ★★★½ - does exactly what it's supposed to do
    Graphics and Audio: ★★½ - not great, but good enough
    Overall: ★★★½ - camouflage is very useful, especially considering most people here are males between 13 and 15​

Links:
    Official Site: http://highglosssoftware.com/Home.html

As always, thank you for reading
    and I hope you enjoyed the review.
    If you liked it feel free to add me as
    a friend or follow me on twitter:
    http://www.twitter.com/joshvani

This is my third full fledged review
    so critique is still welcome (some
    suggestions on more FAQs would be
    nice). Also 15 copies of camouflage
    are being given away in Fantastic
    Friday 3
    , so if you haven't yet, be
    sure to enter.

Finally,(man these final paragraphs
    are getting long) check out my other
    reviews:Frenzic, Twitterrific Premium

Attached Files:

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Another very uniquely layed out review! Well done!
  3. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks again man, I guess some props can go out to my english teacher, who taught me how to write a book review last week lol. I'm kind of disappointed with the amount of replies my reviews are getting though...
  4. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Awesome.

I think the reason your not getting many replies is b/c this app isn't something everyone needs.

Maybe reviewing like a game or something?

Anyway. Great review!!
  5. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
  6. Germany

Germany Banned

I'm in the same boat. I review utilities and they get less reviews and replies than game reviews. It doesn't really matter though... It is about the quality of review content and not necessarily having the most views. People go into a review judging by the name of the app. It can be a popular app, and the review may get a lot of views/replies, but none of that matters if the review is sloppy and error filled.
  7. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Very true. Otherwise what do you think of the review?
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Games will always get more focus due to the average age of users on the forums and 'utility apps' are much harder to review than games so kudos for taking it on. Don't feel discouraged. Every review produced is looked at by Kiks and/or myself and many other members too I'm sure. They/we just may not reply straight away.

Good layout and great text. White screenshots could maybe do with bordering if you have the time. Also some investigative detail into how the 'private browsing' works would be very useful.