Camera - Not for the Netbooks

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by holbikwolff10, Jul 14, 2009.

1. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I recall reading that apple said they don't want to make netbooks.
    Here is the quote from
    http://venturebeat.com/2009/04/22/apples-tim-cook-why-dont-we-make-netbooks-because-they-suck/:

Apple’s chief operating officer Tim Cook, who’s leading the company in Steve Jobs’ absence, took some sharp jabs at netbooks (computers that are smaller and cheaper than laptops) this afternoon. His words might put a damper on rumors that Apple is developing a netbook, though more on that in a second.

For us, it’s about doing great products,” Cook said during today’s call discussing Apple’s (surprisingly strong) second quarter earnings. “When I look at netbooks, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens. It’s just not a good consumer experience and not something we would put the Mac brand on. It’s a segment we would not choose to play in.”

Of course, Apple has been making similar statements all along, but Cook’s words today were some of the most dismissive I’ve seen. He closed the netbook discussion with two final put-downs. He said Apple already offers devices that compete with netbooks, because if you want a small device for web browsing and email, that’s what iPhones and iPod Touches do; and as for the netbook, “I think it’s a stretch to call it a personal computer.”

So should this kill the netbook speculation? Well, it would certainly seem strange if Apple released anything even remotely resembling a traditional netbook at this point. On the other hand, the Wall Street Journal’s report, which sparked much of the recent debate, described “a portable device that is smaller than its current laptop computers but bigger than the iPhone or iPod Touch.” That doesn’t necessarily mean a standard netbook, so if you add up Cook’s comparison to iPhones and his statement, “We do look at this space,” the rumored tablet computer could still be a possibility.

So there you have it. The cameras aren't for "the upcoming netbooks" because "the upcoming netbooks" dont exist.
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    May I remind you that Apple repeatedly dismissed the 'Apple Phone'?

But anyways, I don't see a netbook coming, some kind of tablet, done right. That's what I see.
  3. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    okay so is your point that apple wont make netbooks or that its a bigger chance the ipod will have a camera? just wondering.
  4. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The point is a bit of both, mainly just because (almost) all the jealous 2G users use "its for the upcoming netbook" to shoot down the camera.
    Seriously, its the same thing a bunch of jealous 1G users did to the 2G speakers.
  5. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Its because they are jealous (and a little immature, some of them). But, the 'upcoming netbook' would be nice if it was rocking nVidia Ion, dual-core Atom, great battery life, and up to 4GB of RAM. THAT would be a netbook. If it doesn't ever come out though, I'll get a Macbook. Tired of waiting, but here's to hoping that a netbook/tablet is on the way.
  6. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A netbook wouldn't be such a bad idea... cuz Microsoft is 'ruling' the netbook OS. I like the Ubuntu Netbook Remix but a Mac Netbook would be great.
  7. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'd rather the price of the Macbook just be lowered more. How expensive are those things to make anyways??? Not very, I'd imagine. Even if they lowered it to about 700 dollars (US), the hardware improvements would blow all of the netbooks out of the water, and would justify the premium.
  8. andydam123

andydam123 Member

What are you talking about? Don't you remember the Moto SLVR?
  9. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well now I know there is no netbook. Now there is a greater chance for a AF camera on the 3G
  10. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I still think Apple will make a netbook, but they won't ever be caught calling it that. Now that they have started calling all of their laptop lineup "Macbook Pro" there is a gap in their product line. There is no normal Mac Book at the moment. They are going to have to fill this gap soon, and this is where the cameras probably will be going.