Camera for 3rd Gen Touch isn't really that far fetched

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mossme89, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mossme89

mossme89 Member

I hear many people arguing over whether there might be a camera on the next ipod touch. Though, at this point everything is mainly speculation, here's why a camera might not be so far fetched.

Apple is getting fed up with AT&T exclusivity. Even though many people beg to differ, Apple hears customer's complaints about their products. How many times have we complained about a product's shortcomings and then seent that issue addressed in the next update (ex. Aluminum MacBook firewire; iPhone Video Recording). Apple has always had the view of "the sky is the limit", and AT&T has been alienating potential iphone customers with high rates and limiting policies (ex. tethering, & wait for MMS). As seen by rumors of negotiations with other carriers, Apple is not happy with AT&T. AT&T is not allowing users to take full advantage of their iphones.

What does this have to do with the iPod Touch? Even though Apple is locked into their deal with AT&T until 2010, why not get around the system (to an extent) and release an IPod touch that is really just the "iPhone without the phone"? This would alienate AT&T further, but would open up discussions with other carriers by giving out the message that they are ready to move past AT&T. Plus, if the Pre will be on multiple networks soon, wouldn't it be a good idea for the iPhone to be also?

For those in other countries, just remember that even though you guys may have a great carrier, Apple's main focus is the US.
  2. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There wont be a camera because then the iphone and ipod touch will be too similar and people wont buy as many iphones.
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Exactly. The camera is the function that basically makes the iPhone, other than calls and internet everywhere.

It would lose the profit for the iPhones.
  4. mossme89

mossme89 Member

Not really. I doubt very many people say "oh! I want an iPhone because of it's camera". The majority of phones now have cameras. Maybe for the video recording, but I didn't say an iPod should inculde video recording. That (for now), could be exclusive to the iPhone
  5. Rich5150

Rich5150 Banned

well think about it all cell phones have camera/video recording on them but do you really just settle for for that or do you also have a digital cam?

so why isint it possible for apple to include a cam in the next ipod
  6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    So if a vast majority of phones have cameras why would the iPod need one?

They could just use the camera they have on their phone to upload to Facebook or whatever?

Defeated the purpose of having a phone on the iPod yourself........
  7. Rich5150

Rich5150 Banned

well then if all cell phones have a cam and video recording on them why get a digital cam kinda defeated the purpose of having a digital cam>?
  8. TDG

TDG Active Member

I completely disagree. I'd have to say a camera on an iPod touch isn't far-fetched either. Why do you buy a phone? For a camera? No, that's not it. It's because it has calling capabilities, 3g internet, texting capabilities, etc. Now, adding those features to the iPod touch is going too far, and of course they're never gonna happen. A camera does not distinguish a phone for a music player, and plus, I've never bought a phone for the camera, and I don't know anyone that has. If people were buying the iPhone for it's camera, then they obviously weren't looking for a very good one, or else they would've bought a Sony Ericson or something. I could see Apple putting a camera in the next iPod touch model.
  9. beebop

beebop New Member

Giving the ipod a camera would generate a nice USP.... i think it's more than likely
  10. mossme89

mossme89 Member

Actuall you pretty much explained why a camera would be useful. You said a vast majority of phones have cameras. A phone is not an iPod. Sure, there could be an added convience of uploading photos on the go, but a lot of people are not fond of the hefty data fees