calendar sharing (Mac and Windows)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stuke, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Stuke

Stuke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I read one post that partially helped but it was focused on music between computers.

I have Mac for home, Windows for work. My iPod touch 2G (32GB) model used the Mac for it's home (i.e., that's where the music resides). As well, it syncs my personal calendars, photons, (music), contacts, etc. from the home computer,.

What I need/want is to sync also my work calendar (Outlook 2007 on Vista Enterprise). iTunes installed on the Windows machine is no problem. But when I connect the iPod touch to the Windows machine, it says, "it looks like this iPod is (slaved) to another machine. do you want to (associate) it with this machine?"

This happens for the "music" tab, the "photos" tab, and the "info" (calendars, contacts) tab. I don't want to share music or photos with my Windows work machine; I only want to have it sync (load) my Windows work Outlook calendar and contacts onto the iPod touch. And, it appears to be able to do this involves a "merge" button. I tried that but when I returned to the Mac home machine, iTunes on the Mac now tells me the same this..."it looks like this iPod is (slaved)..."

HELP!

I just want my calendar and contacts form the Windows work machine synced without my Mac home machine thinking I'm 'cheating' on it!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anybody else in this boat? Anybody find a solution to this without going third party calendars (Google, Yahoo, MobileMe, etc.)?

Thanks.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Google Calendar. You can sync that cross platform.
  3. Stuke

Stuke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Teslanaut,

Thanks. I figured a third party calendar would work; but, I don't want to/can't expose my work calendar to a third party system.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How about Microsoft Exchange?
  5. RoRe

RoRe New Member

Hi Stuke,
    I exactly have the same problem - only XP instead of Vista. So if you find a solution I encourage you to inform me.
    Thanks in forward, RoRe
  6. Stuke

Stuke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No Solution Yet

RoRe...unfortunately, I've not run across a solution yet. I'm hoping (praying) that Apple itself recognizes the vital importance of people syncing calendars across multiple platforms, using those platform's native calendar apps (iCal: Mac, Outlook: Windows); and, possibly coupled with DRM-free music, rewrites the "iPod xxx" software version to become intelligent and know that sharing calendars does not possess any danger of sharing DRM music...even if DRM-free music is on the iPod from the master computer (e.g., Mac).

I'm not a fan of third-party calendar solutions (e.g., Google, Yahoo, etc.) because it exposes personal and business data.

It seems like common sense to me that Apple should realize the need for a single person to interact with multiple computer platforms in the course of a typical day. Certainly it must realize that Apple/Mac computers are not commonplace in the business world and therefore should enable calendaring syncing with NO FEAR of sharing music, photos, etc. from the master computer's ownership and parking of such material on the portable iPod.