Bypassing Websense with iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ianonavy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ianonavy

ianonavy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright, so my school has a web filter called Websense. Simple things like public proxies, Internet translators, SSL and TLS (https:// instead of http://) don't work.

I have a few suggestions, but I won't be able to test them for the next few weeks until school resumes, so I was wondering if anyone else would be willing to try them.

My first idea was to use VNC or RDP. In theory, you would set up a VNC server, or just keep a computer on for RDP at home, and use some sort of iPod touch app (Jaadu) to connect remotely to your home network, where you could browse the Internet using your computer's connection. Does anyone know if this would work on a Websense filter?

My other idea was to set up a proxy or VPN server at home, and just connect through there. SSH a portable Firefox into your iPod, then use iFile's web server to download it onto a school computer (or e-mail it to yourself) and configure the proxy settings on that. Or, just use MobileSafari directly on your iPod. I have not been able to successfully set up either one as I'm not really familiar with how they work. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an easy-to-set-up proxy server at home that I can connect remotely to with my iPod from school. Also, would something like this involve spoofing my router's MAC address, external IP address, or changing my dynDNS hostname?
  2. Shadeslayer

Shadeslayer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know the VNC thing wouldn't work. Been there, tried that.
  3. Antonpup

Antonpup Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    hmmm... sounds possible.

i will try when school resumes next Wednesday

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. ianonavy

ianonavy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What specifically did you try? I was able to successfully connect VNC from my neighbor's Wi-Fi (after setting up all the static IP addresses and port forwarding manually). So, unless they're blocking all TCP and UDP connections on port 5900, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, what about Remote Desktop for Windows?
  5. PwnMastr

PwnMastr New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i really need to stop this websense ItF is blocked so is youtube and cydia ive seen proxies on cydia but idk if they work if someone got ultrasurf on an ipod that would be perfect
  6. crow34

crow34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  7. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Try Hotspot shield. It's a VPN, so you can enable it at the flick of a switch in Settings.app.