iPhone 4 Buying iPhone 4 in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by z999, Jul 4, 2010.

1. z999

z999 New Member

Hello,
    Over the summer I will be in Finland and the UK and I want to pick up an iPhone on the way (doing it in England would be MUCH easier since I'm a guest of someone in Finland).
    Anything I should know before the buy? I'll buy a 32GB unlocked and cut down my SIM to fit the micro size.
    I'm planning on getting a VAT refund (which cuts down on quite a bit of the price of the phone), I don't really understand how that works, I'm supposed to get the VAT form-where? and then I give it to the salesman and he refunds? alternatively I give the form to customs when I get out of the country?
    if I but it unlocked do I need to activate it?

Thx, Ziv

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. cinek

cinek New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    LOL rly? you can get vat back and don't know how to do it? lol

u need to have a company.... you will not get the money back from VAT untill the end of the business (or wot ever it's called) year... everything goes through your accountant (if you have one), so if you buy it now, and the end of the business year is in e.g. march, you'll get your VAT next year in march....... you still need to pay apple the full amount on the spot
  3. z999

z999 New Member

I believe that's how the american way works.
    I know that in some places in europe (especially tourist shops) you can show a passport and get immediate refund.

Code:
    10.How do I obtain my refund?

After your VAT refund form has been certified by Customs you can either:

* post the form back to the retailer to arrange payment of your refund;
        * post the form back to a commercial refund company to arrange payment of your refund;
        * hand your form to a refund booth to arrange immediate payment.

Whichever method is used should have been agreed between yourself and the retailer when you bought the goods.
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000141&propertyType=document
    Is there anything in addition I should know from someone WHO HAS ALREADY DONE IT?