iPhone 3G Buying an iPhone 3G from eBay. Anyone done it? Anything I should look out for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnFa, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

I've finally gotten some money together (yay for winning poker tournaments!) and I really wanna buy an iPhone from eBay (or from here, so if you have one for sale please contact me!).

This I know:
    I will not be able to unlock it. Doesn't matter, however I want to make sure I can use the iPod features on it even if it's locked. Can I?

My plan is to also sell my iPod Touch and use the iPhone as an iPod until it's unlockable. Is this a good idea?

What should I be careful of of iPhone 3G's on eBay? Anything in particular?
  2. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

no point in getting the 3G, just get the 2G the recption is no better and isn't much faster.
  3. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Well, apparently the reception is really good here in Sweden (small country, a bunch of 3G antennas

Please Register or Log in to view images

).
    Also, I'd be getting a really good deal on a renewal plan with my cell phone company.
    So I really want a 3G one.
  4. cripesonfriday

cripesonfriday New Member

Get some sort of ebay snipe program thingy , you will get outbid in almost every one you bid on, or sometimes they withdraw the iphone if the bids aren't high enough.

Beyond that , usual ebay do's and dont's, check feedback etc.

AND.. very important , check the postage, it's how most people try and screw you, I nearly bid on one last week and the postage was £150 sterling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Geez! I'll keep that in mind.
    But they are legit? I've seen some scams, but you find that out pretty fast if you just read through the item description.

Thanks!
  6. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

you still can't unlock it so this real good deal probs won't even work
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You do know you cant unlock the 3G right?
  8. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Yes, as I wrote in my post.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    How much should I be paying for a 16GB one at the most do you guys think?
  9. horaciog

horaciog New Member

Problems with cracked iPhone screens have been getting lots of press but a potentially more serious and widespread glitch has to do with the 3G model's ability to pull in a strong signal — which, after all, is a pretty basic requirement of any cell phone, especially one loaded down with as many features as the iPhone.

Apple released a firmware update for 3G, claiming it will clear up the problems but some analysts aren't so sure about that.

There's speculation among some Wall Street types that the reception problems are being caused by an antenna design flaw or an issue with the chipset and that a simple firmware upgrade won't be enough to get iPhone users the five bars they're hoping for.

Financial analysts get angina whenever there's an indication of hardware problems that could force a massive — and costly — recall.

Some users rushed to blame AT&T Wireless for the weak reception but cooler heads note that other portable devices in the same reception areas are working just fine, thanks — both cell phones and other Web-enabled devices that use the EDGE network.

Adding fuel to the fire are reports from Europe, where users are encountering similar problems in locales where the signal strength has never been a problem before.

Engineers quoted in the trade press are speculating that the antenna is the likely culprit. The iPhone 3G has no fewer than ten different antennas. That's a lot of antennas in a small place, and as any radiohead will tell you, having too many antennas in one place can cause interference and signal loss.

Of course, most consumers could care less what the problem is, they just want the thing to work. When it doesn't, customers can find themselves facing a stiff termination fee if they want to throw up their hands and walk away.

"Advertised twice as fast for half the price, but the twice as fast and the iPhone don't communicate," lamented Richard of Victorville, Calif. "AT&T is requiring customers who return their iPhones for this failure to pay a restocking fee; Apple Stores will replace the phones, but you are likely to end up with a replacement that has the same problem."

"Apple has refused to acknowledge the issue: AT&T's spokespersons deny any widespread problems; iPhone 3G users have to pay for 3G service that many (most) are not able to access due to the faulty iPhone," he said.

Likewise Mike of Waldwick, N.J. He bought an iPhone 3G on eBay but found he couldn't get a reliable signal.

"Tried to cancel this contract since I was within my 30 days. It took me 2 days with AT&T after convincing them that one of the phone was purchased off ebay instead of having them making me take the phone back to an Apple store," Mike told us.

"The iPhone is a nice item but as I found out it really isnt worth the headache," Mike concluded.
  10. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Hehe, nice article. I figure; if I can use I can use it. If I can't, I'll just resell it on ebay and get my money back.

The thing is; here in Sweden, our equivalent of AT&T still has the sole right to sell iPhone 3G. The company I use, I think, is better and more reliable. But there's no information as of yet when they'll start selling it.