Buying a iPod Touch 3G Aborad

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by neil_black, Dec 5, 2009.

1. neil_black

neil_black New Member

Hi,

I've seen lots of posts about this, and the general consensus is "Yes, you can". But I'm still a little unsure on some issues. Wonder if anyone can confirm theses.

I live in the UK but currently working in the US for a while. Someone was nice enough to give me a discount card, so I'm thinking of buying an iPod Touch 64GB (the added bonus of games to kill some hotel boredom is a winner!).

But....

1. Are there any regional differences between US and UK Touch?
    2. Can I flash with the UK firmware on US touch? (I assume this will have some differences like the.co.uk and spelling etc).
    3. I assume I should wait until I'm back in UK to create/register iTunes Store account to make sure it's UK based (I know they sell different stuff sometimes for licensing reasons)?
    4. Can I get UK support for US bought Touch?

Anything else I should know before buying?

Thanks in advance!
  2. litobro

litobro Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. UK version will have a volume limit, US will not
    2. Same firmware i'm pretty sure.
    3. Doesn't really matter, since you can open a UK account in the US, it's all about the billing address of the CC
    4. Not sure on this one, but I would assume so.
  3. Weyzer

Weyzer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. It's pretty much the same device sold everywhere. (and oh, the volume limit for the UK one apparently)
    2. There are no "US" or "UK" firmwares. Everything is the same.
    3. You should be able to create your iTunes account and register on your UK adress even if you're in the US at the moment.
    4. Apple Stores all over the world will be able to support you if you have time left on the warranty (1 or 2 years) I have personal experience of this.
  4. neil_black

neil_black New Member

Thanks Guys! I'll buy one tomorrow.
  5. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

You can change all the locale settings, under Date & Time, Keyboard and Language by going into Settings.

The only problem I can think of is needing a repair, as it's much easier to take to a local retailer rather than organise one with Apple

Please Register or Log in to view images