Buying a broken iPhone 3G...Need some help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sparkyx, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Okay, so I can't really afford to buy a really nice iPhone 3G, but recently, one of my friends dropped his iPhone 3G and broke the glass. The digitizer still works, but the screen turned white. He still uses it for a music player, but as soon as he gets a new phone, he's selling his broken one to me for $20.

I'm Assuming (yes I know what happens when one "assumes") that the white screen, but working digitizer is due to a bleeding LCD.

This being said, I'm planning on buying the phone (which is out of warranty), buying a replacement glass screen, and buying a replacement LCD, and doing the replacement myself.

Broken iPhone - $20
    Replacement Glass - $10 on ebay
    Replacement LCD - $25 on ebay

Total: $55

Does that sound correct? If there is something else i need to consider, please tell me before i buy it...I'm buying it on monday hopefully
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    EXTREMELY risky replacinng it urself.
  3. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    yea you can really mess it up replacing it yourself. but since your getting the phone for $20 i would take the risk.
  4. rex450se

rex450se Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It isn't that bad. Don't let these guys discourage you. Watch a couple youtube videos so you can get a good idea of exactly what you need to do. From personal experience I would say the LCD is not broken. There are 3 connectors to it and one of them probobly poped of in the fall (well the landing actually). Has happened to me before. Just opened it up plugged it back in and is working fine. When you go to remove the glass, remove the sim card tray, then the 2 screws on the bottom of the phone. Use a suction cup to pry up on the glass, bottom first. If you look towards the top of the phone you will probably see the three connectors I am talking about. If its out of warranty then while you have it open I would suggest replacing the battery. You can find them on Ebay for under $10 shipped. No reason to go through that fun again in a month. Just take it apart before you start ordering parts you may not need.

Victor
  5. Sparkyx

Sparkyx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    thanks! I'll check it when i get it. If the LCD isn't actually broken, then just repairing the broken glass is all i'll need to do.
  6. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    and also its not like your reckoing a very good iphone if it stuffs up it already broken anyway