iPhone 3GS Buying 3GS, Want To Do Some Revision

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jackhawes, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jackhawes

jackhawes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok guy tomorrow ill order my iPhone 3GS from the apple store online, it will take 5 days to be delived so thats plenty of time to learn the ins and outs.

What i would like you guys to help me with is to answer my questions and provide as much info as possible (Or links as im sure alot is posted already).
    Im used to jailbreaking iPod 1G so im used to most of the stuff.

If the iPhone 3GS bricks can it be unbricked?

Do i need to worry about the boot loader with using redsn0w 0.8? (I hear the boot loader is extremely important.)

Worst case the iPhone has gone completely f***ed and i need to send it to apple if there a way to restore back to normal? (Kinda like 1st question)

If there anything else you think i should know about jailbreaking iPhone 3GS before i start?

All help will be most appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

Regards,
    Jack
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    All of your questions can be answered with a DFU Restore.

Don't worry about the boot loader.
    If you're unlocking it I'm not sure then.

When jailbreaking it (FW 3.0.1), choose the 3.0 IPSW bundle. not the 3.0.1 bundle.
  3. dette

dette New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Compare it to your iPod 1G and it is VERY similar there are just a couple more things to look at..
    First.. No bricking it would be the same as your iPod.. It can almost always be restored. Normal mode, Restore mod, or DFU mode, out of those you should be alright

Please Register or Log in to view images

Second.. The bootloader. The reason the bootloader is important is mainly for people who want to unlock there iPhone for a different carrier other then AT&T(for the US) or whatever for another country. The current bootloader IS UNLOCKABLE but if you upgrade to 3.1 when it comes out then your phone will no longer be unlockable since Apple is patching the bootloader. 3.0.1 does NOT update the bootloader. I keep my bootloader unlockable for resale, I did this with the 3G and sold the 3G in an unlocked state. That is something to keep in mind.

Other things you might want to do is get your iBSS and iBEC certificates because Apple added a lovely new security feature for the iPhone 3GS so that Apple has to verify your restore in iTunes. I believe it stops your from downgrading firmware versions but I am not fully sure on that.. But regardless you should get your certificates and there are multiple ways of doing that.. Just use google.

To jailbreak 3.0 you can use redsn0w or purplera1n.
    To jailbreak 3.0.1 you can only use redsn0w but you must select the 3.0 firmware not the 3.0.1 because redsn0w currently does not recognize the 3.0.1 firmware but the only thing changed in 3.0.1 is a security flaw in SMS otherwise its identical so redsn0w+3.0 firmware file will jailbreak 3.0.1