Building my first computer

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by eric_chaos, Aug 7, 2008.

1. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is the setup I wanna get: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=12582347

Is that good? I'm probably gonna add more RAM. 2gb isnt gonna be enough, but besides that is it ok?

I dont expect it to run crysis, but maybe cod4.

Also, are all the parts compatible with each other? I think they are but its the first time building one and I just wanna be sure.

thanks

edit: Ill post the main specs for the lazy people who dont wanna look at my wishlist

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ 3.0GHz
    Mobo: PC CHIPS A13G+
    Power supply: 750watts Rosewill RX750-S-B
    GPU: GeForce 8500GT 512MB
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) --- Probably changing that
    HDD: Western Digital 250gb 7200RPM
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Check out the thread i have in my signature. It may help you answer your questions.
    (cant view your private cart on newegg. Make it a wish list or something, or link all products you chose)

But here is what i noticed off the bat. The motherboard has some weird PCIE slot. It may not be fully compatible with your video card. Also that processor does not come with a stock heatsink or fan. That means you need a Fan,Heatsink, and thermal(Thermal Paste/Thermal Grease). Also in your list you didnt specify the exact memory. Make sure you get the DDR2 800 if you decide to keep that motherboard.
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    wow!!!! that is cool!!! but isn't expensive to make your own computer... (i need more ram on my old computer. and bigging HDD and possible a new intel duo...) i need to confins my dad...
  4. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Nicee...good luck
  5. hooger

hooger Banned

You could probably lower the PSU on that, or upgrade the graphics. Id personally go with an intel cpu, and asus mobo.. but thats me.
  6. andydam

andydam Banned

Try 32GB of ram! Makes CS3 start up in seconds.
  7. touchmaster79

touchmaster79 Banned

dude amd is crap. get an intel core 2 duo. amd and intel both at 2.0 ghz and the intel is way faster. also get 4gb of ram. its so cheap these days. i got 4 gb for under $100 at newegg.
  8. SoFreshSoSmooth

SoFreshSoSmooth New Member

32 GB of RAM? You talking about 64 bit Windows lol...Thats definitely not in his price range if he's looking for a sub-$600 computer...32 GB of RAM would probably be 4x8 GB sticks - probably cost $600 by itself lol...

But I think you should go with a Intel processor - they are much better than AMD.
    I am also making my own computer - I'm going with the evga 780i Motherboard + Intel Quad Core Q6600.
  9. andydam123

andydam123 Member

He said sub $600? I didn't see that.
  10. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    AMD is NOT crap. Intel is crap.
    AMD is better.

My defense:

Please Register or Log in to view images