Building computer. need help.

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by kevin1st, Aug 10, 2010.

1. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay so. i decided to go ahead and build my own computer. I've been looking at the MSI NF980-G65 motherboard, along with AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor, CORSAIR XMS3 RAM, and 2 EVGA GTX 460's in an sli configuration.

can someone take a few minutes just to assure me that these parts will work together. also will the motherboard come with an updated bios to support the Athlon X4 635 out of the box, and support the dual gtx 460's
    thanks so much for your help.
  2. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  3. kevin1st

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    thanks for the support. what i dont understand is why I should get that other motherboard instead. The one i chose is regularly $80 more. it should have some better features, shouldn't it.

and on the ram issue, by compatible do you mean to get ram with the highest supported speed? will i notice a huge difference between 800 mhz and 2133 mhz?

thanks again for your help
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, here is my input:

A) Stick with your first motherboard choice the MSI. It has more PCIe connectors that the ASUS one. PCIe slots are more used now for expansion cards.

B) YES you will notice a difference between RAM speeds. But the board you originally chose supports the DDR3 1600MHz RAM you were looking at. For DDR3 the 1600MHz speed is kinda the standard.

So from what you posted i would stick with the parts you chose in your first post.

Also, if your going SLI, and with your first motherboard choice, you need to keep this in mind. Your power supply needs to have a 24pin or 20+4pin main power connector, also you need four(4) PCIe Power connections. Each graphics card needs two(2) 6pin PCIe power cables. So make sure the power supply you choose has enough. Keep in mind that 6+2pin connectors are ok, but a pure 8pin PCIe connector may not fit.
  5. jack rules32

jack rules32 Banned

stick with the original parts
  6. kevin1st

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yea i think i have the PSU covered, but just for safe measure the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W should do just fine right? i ran this PSU calculator and it recommended around 675 watts, so i figured 750 watts was enough. Also i do plan to do some cable management with this build, so is a modular power supply highly recommended?
  7. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ASUS has better overclocking abilities and you don't need extra pci slots, seems like you're going for a pretty basic build and you WON'T notice a difference in ram speeds, trust me LOL, I've went from 1200mhz-2000mhz and I don't really notice anything. If you want some good cable management then I'd say put down some extra for a good modular silver or bronze certified power supply. Read the reviews on the one you choose before buying. I just have good experience with ASUS which is why I recommended it, been building comps since 2002? 2003? Always used an ASUS board and never ran into any problems.
  8. kevin1st

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i have no plans for major over clocking on this system. the on.y think i could consider doing is ocing the gtx 460's to match the superclocked version of the gpu. (saving me 20 bucks)

i've decided ill will go modular though. i've always heard good from corsair so naturally im looking at the HX750w, but $40 seems like a large amount of money just from modular. Can you recommend me another brand or even power supply that i can trust to perform well over time?
  9. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  10. kevin1st

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay so i have another question. i got the motherboard today and on the back of the back of the box it says it supports 1600mhz (OC), and the ram im looking at says its 1600mhz. This means i have to go into the bios and over clock the speed to 1600mhz in order to make this ram work, right?

or will the motherboard downgrade the ram to 1333mhz for me when i plug it in.

or is it just recommended that a i get a different set of ram rated at 1333mhz?