Building Apps for Jailbroken iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by wyndwarrior, Jan 10, 2010.

1. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, I made my app in XCode, tested it in the simulator, and now I want to put it on my iPod Touch. Is there anyway to do that without paying $99?

Sorry if this might be some obvious questions, but I'm new to iPhone development!
  2. jrcdude

jrcdude New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    1. Under Project Properties (Project -> Edit Project Settings) click on the Build tab, and find Code Signing Identity. Change that value to 'Don't Code Sign'.

2. Change: Project -> Set Active SDK to iPhone Device 3.0
    and Project -> Set Active Build Configuration to Release.

3. Build -> Build

4. Open up your project folder, go to /build/Release-iphoneos in that folder.

5. There should be a file in that folder with a 'No' symbol over it. Right click that and click Show Package Contents.

6. Copy those files over to a new folder on your /Applications/ folder on your jailbroken iPot. (format for folder should be AppName.app)

7. Install ldid on your iPot (link identity editor)

8. Open up Terminal on your Mac thru Spotlight and then type the following commands:

$ssh root@*iPot IP ADDRESS*
    alpine //or whatever your iPot password is
    $cd /Applications/AppName.app (whatever it was that you created above)
    $ldid -S AppName (name of the binary)
    $chmod 755 AppName
    $resrping

And then it should work.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You can also get ldid of os x, and add a 'run script' build phase that will take your app bundle, run ldid on the binary, then scp it over to your device.
  4. wyndwarrior

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm getting an error when I try to build.

"CodeSign error: code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'Device - iPhone OS 3.1.2'
  5. jrcdude

jrcdude New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
  6. ipodtouchdude

ipodtouchdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Before you start you must have the <removed> on you device to allow you to build and go (do not ask me how to get it just google it their will be loads of places to get it from)

A lot easier way is going to /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Info.plist

and find XCiPhoneOSCodeSignContext there should be 3 of them so look for all 3 and rename them XCCodeSignContext once you have changed all 3 save it and close it.

Now open Keychain Access up and click the Keychain Access name next to the apple logo and click Certificate Assistant and click Create a Certificate once you have done that rename the text box to iPhone Developer and the other box keep it as Self Signed Root and if your on mac os x 10.6 you will have another box and change it to code signing and at the bottom tick Let Me override Defaults and continue one the next page enter a random serial number and enter the days to 7300 and on mac os x 10.5 the code signing bit will be here so change it to code signing and now just continue to the end and your done with Keychain Access.

Now open up xcode and make/open a project and build and go and it will send the app striate to your device code signed and in your project folder their will be a /Build/Release-iphoneos or a Debug-iphoneos the app will be in them code signed as well.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

I'm sorry, but we simply cannot encourage users to install a well-known tool for piracy in order to do this. There are plenty of other methods to circumvent the code certificate deal without doing this. Sorry.
  8. wyndwarrior

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, I've managed to build it and transfer it, but now I'm getting some sort of error when I try to fake sign it.
    Code:
    codesign_allocate: object: Test malformed object (unknown load command 9)
    ldid.cpp(417): _assert(0:WEXITSTATUS(status) == 0)
    Trace/BPT trap

9. jrcdude

jrcdude New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Did you SSH to the actual directory before you try to ldid it? Are you using the proper cases which should be "ldid -S AppName". Try doing "su root" before using ldid.
  10. wyndwarrior

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, I had superuser privileges, I used a capital S, and I targeted it towards the binary, but it keeps on getting the same error.