Build Your Own IPA File + Port Jailbroken Apps to AppStore Format

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by cocotutch, Dec 5, 2008.

1. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Hello all,

I have spent the greater part of my Summer Holidays here in Australia hacking around my device and attempting to make an easier way for me to Update my SDK-made apps onto my device, without a membership.

Until now, I have been using SFTP/SSH to copy/overwrite my currently installed version of whatever app and restarting SpringBoard to show it up.

Well, today I found a very cool way to update/install your Homebrew apps onto your Jailbroken iPod Touch WITH MobileInstallation Patch 2.0 - 2.2+.

Mac:

On your desktop, create a folder with the same name of the App you want to install. E.G. "Respring".

Inside that folder, make a folder named "Payload" (Case-Sensitive) and open up Photoshop CS4 (or CS3 if you have that instead, either works fine) and make a 512x512 pixels transparent background RGB 8 Bit image template.

In that template, make an Icon for your app, no Rounded Rectangle needed, just leave the whole image Square. Once you have it the way you want it, save it as a JPEG @ 100% Quality. Open this saved image in Preview and save it as a JPG with the name "iTunesArtwork" and then remove the Extension completely from the file in Get Info (Command + I).

Go back into Photoshop CS4/3 and scale the Image down to 60x60 pixels with the Image Size tool. Save this as a Photoshop PNG-24 file including transparency - there is no need to re-save with Preview.

Move the Icon file into your compiled app, overwrite the original icon by right clicking the application and selecting Show Package Contents and navigating to the Resources folder.

After this is all complete, open up your apps Info.plist file, this can be opened in Dashcode, Property List Editor or TextEdit.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the Property List File, select the last row, and make a new cell by clicking the "+" you see.

You need to add in the new cell, the following

<key>
    SignerIdentity
    </key>
    <string>
    Apple iPhone OS Application Signing
    </string>

Save the file and return to the folder which has the items "Payload" & "iTunesArtwork". Select the two of them, right click and select "Compress 2 Items".

After a brief delay, depending on your app size, you will have an "Archive.zip" file. Rename the "Archive" to your App's name" and the ".zip" to ".ipa".

Double click it and iTunes should register it.

For a jailbroken app, uninstall it with Cydia and then install it with iTunes. After a brief delay, the new Icon will be on your SpringBoard ready to be used. Holding your finger down will enable deleting/moving as usual. The app is now readily available to remove/install whenever, without WiFi - this was my main gripe about installing apps by SSH.

Pictures to prove it works: (Look for the "AT&T > Erica" Icon, I made an IPA for MakeItMine)
    IMG_0003.PNG IMG_0004.PNG

Cheers and hope its Handy!!!!!!!

UPDATE:

Currently IPA'd Jailbroken Apps:
    Respring > View attachment Respring.ipa.zip

Currently IPA'd Homebrew SDK Apps:
    All > Every Homebrew.
    RSS (iPod Touch Fans Edition) > View attachment RSS.ipa.zip
  2. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

sh*t! This is truly awesome! So the app will work just like any other app from the appstore?
  3. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yesiree!!! I installed my Homebrew just then (The "Aa" Icon)
  4. Technoa

Technoa New Member

Wow, nice discovery. I'm sure lots of people will find this to be quite helpful.
  5. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Thankyou, I just uploaded Respring in IPA format as an example of the power of this method. I PM'd SkylarEC to ask whether he can Sticky this thread for future use, do you think any Mod will?
  6. Technoa

Technoa New Member

Is this for the Mac only?
  7. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    No, it isn't specifically for Mac, you could probably replicate the steps on a PC easy enough, but editing the Plist files on a PC is impossible without them in XML Format, there are certain websites that can convert them for you, I will look around and update here when I find one.

Cheers,
  8. Technoa

Technoa New Member

Okay, thanks. Because i tried doing it but then i got an error which said "The application ****.ipa could not be added to your iTunes library because it is not a valid application".
  9. cocotutch

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    You will need to add that String to the Info.plist. Instead of Zipping the actual Folder of the App containing Payloads and iTunesArtwork, highlight iTunesArtwork and Payloads and Compress that into the Archive and rename to "AppName.ipa", I got caught out like that

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you are still having probs, download my Respring example and use that as your template.

Thanks,
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Jailbroken Apps work as IPA files. However, some do not. It may be because I redid the package wrong, but most likely it is because the functions are blocked. More testing will be done to try and get them all to work.

Cheers,
  10. Technoa

Technoa New Member

Okay, now I'm trying to turn Cydia into an IPA file. I can add it into iTunes without any errors but then when i try to sync it into my iPod Touch it says "The application Cydia was not installed on the iPod because it could not be verified".