BT Openzone problems?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by muggynight, May 4, 2008.

1. muggynight

muggynight New Member

If you have BT Broadband total you can join the BT Fon initiative and connect to thousands of wifi hot spots. The trouble is it didn't work for me until I found this patch provided by BT who came to the conclusion that the problem is DNS related.

"Now that we know the source of the problem we're working on fixing it.

Meanwhile, people will be able to connect an iPhone or an iPod Touch if you manually edit the DNS entry for the BT Openzone profile:

1. Within the Settings->Wi-Fi Networks menu on your device, choose BTOpenzone.
    2. When the device has associated with the BTOpenzone SSID, click the arrow next to the BTOpenzone entry. This shows the detailed settings for the connection.
    3. Select the DNS section of the details shown. The DNS section will list 3 IP addresses "10.xx.xx.xx, 192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23"
    4. Scroll back through the list by dragging finger across the screen and then delete the initial 10.xx.xx.xx address.
    5. Check the DNS section entry is set to "192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23" (There should be no space at the beginning of the entry)
    6. Return to the main screen and enter the Safari browser. Navigating to any Internet URL will redirect to the BTFON landing page. Follow the instructions to log in and connect to the Internet.

You don't need to worry about deleting that first DNS entry, it won't have any other effects on your connection."

FYI I found it here:

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...rt=30&tstart=0
  2. confusedipoduser

confusedipoduser New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Cannot get BT Fon to connect

I have read and printed out the DNS related text on the BT FON web page but when I am at an Openworld hot spot I cannot find any DNS to edit. All the fields on the specific connection page are blank. What is with scrolling up an down with a finger when there is no list?

I can see DNS when I am at my usual home and work wifi locations but not at FON or Openworld hot spots

I have typed in the two correct DNS as given into the blank DNS space but still fail to Log In using any of the three radio button choices presented, getting only a username or password invalid message for my trouble.

I have been trying this convoluted process at various locations for a week or more without joy.

On the brink of giving up.
  3. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    From my own experience, anything BT related never works!