BT app development

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by uphi, Jan 12, 2008.

1. uphi

uphi New Member

Has anyone done any work on a BT app for the touch that pairs a headset to the thouch ? I have a BT dongle that MOSTLY works on the touch. Audio TO the touch, via a BT manager. I am mostly a HW person. I came up with the iVoice III mod.
    Earl
  2. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

Doesnt the dongle do all the pairing itself automatically?
    How does it connect to the touch other than via audio in/out pins?
  3. uphi

uphi New Member

via the dock usb data pins. the audio is digitized and goes in/out the usb or firewire or serial data pins. I think thats how bt mic audio works to a bt phone.
    Earl
  4. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

I do not beleive the iPod can do host USB, and as such cannot control a usb device like a bt dongle.
    You will need a serial BT dongle, thats not hard to get though and I have one already.
    I would expect Audio out to be simply via the lineout and audio in to be via the line in?
    Most BT Audio dongles just looks for a headset in pairing mode when you put them in pairing mode and pair with whatever they see. No need for software.
    Now we have working line in/out, so no need for the serial port at all really. Just find a BT Dongle that does audio in and out. I KNOW they exist.
    I remember seeing a bluetooth headset adaptor for old nokias or something in carphone warehouse. It had a 4ring mini headphone plug that plugged into normal handsfree sockets on phones and required no messing on the phone at all.
    That would work perfectly with the iPod if anybody could find the dongle or chip used now!
  5. justit

justit New Member

jybird

UPHI, your YT video is classic "you want to see an old man?" !!

I think you're right about having to build software for pairing. I spoke to jaybird and their docked BT headset works automatically but when purchased with their own stereo BT headset, no pairing needed. Problem with that is sets me back $180+. They did say that their BT dock works with other headsets, but agan pairing needed. If the VIII case wasn't so fugly I'd go your mod.