BSD subsytems trouble

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JosephQuest, Dec 4, 2007.

1. JosephQuest

JosephQuest New Member

this has happened to me for the second time now and i don't know what to do about it. i wanted the dock app to be able to quickly bring up my hidden apps, so i downloaded the BSD subsystems pack because it's needed to get the dock app. once they both get downloaded and installed i back out into the main screen and i have a completely new dock and all my apps wont work and i get a message that says "activation may take awhile" and i get the words "no service" where my carrier icon is. so i don't know how or if it will activate whatever its trying to, but unless it does it soon im going to have to manually delete the BSD pack through my SFTP because i really don't want to have to restore and start all over again...

so can anyone either tell me what my itouch is doing or if not that maybe give me some direction to what folder the BSD subsystems goes into so i can delete it?
  2. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does that mean you can't use the Installer to remove those applications? Then you're in trouble, probably due to the Dock app because the other one shouldn't be a problem.

If you still have SSH enabled, you can start an SSH session and launch the Installer from a terminal. For example, if you have WinSCP,
    • Log onto your iPod.
    • Commands / Open Terminal (or Open in PuTTY if you have installed that one).
    • (enter your password if necessary)
    • Type in the following commands:
      cd /Applications/Installer.app
      ./Installer

That will start the Installer application on your iPod.
    • Uninstall the Dock, then the BSD Subsystem.
    • You won't be able to get out of the application with the Home button (unless you press it longer to kill the Installer), but you can type CTRL-C from the terminal to close it.
    • Close the session. You may have to reboot.

FIY, the BSD subsystem is mostly MAC OSX commands added in /bin, /sbin, plus other configuartion files and libraries in /etc, /var, and so on. Not something you want to remove manually. At any cost

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. JosephQuest

JosephQuest New Member

yea, now im even more confused because i restored my ipod because i couldn't figure out how to fix it. so i come into this one clean, and there is no trace of the dock or BSD subsystems, and everything is running fine. but the second i open up customize and exit out of it, it brings back the iphone dock and it only has my safari on it, and all the other applications wont work when i touch them. They just go a little dim and never fully open while my carrier icon says no service.

heres a picture of the screen i get.

Please Register or Log in to view images

this has happened to me several times now. first time was after i installed the JT wallace theme, then when i got the BSD subsystems pack and dock (which i've gotten them before without this happening so i don't know why it did it now.) and for the third time when i installed customize after a restore.

please if anyone can help. i don't have an iphone so i don't know why it says no service or how it plans to activate anything... :/
  4. JosephQuest

JosephQuest New Member

seriously? no one has had this problem before? or just no one cares to explain.