"BSD root" Error Fixing

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Jailbreak' started by H3X, Feb 13, 2008.

1. H3X

H3X New Member

Every time to jailbreak my 16GB iPod Touch, I get the "BSD root" error.

Tell me how you have fixed them, to help me and other people getting the same problem.

Has anyone been able to fix it, if they got it before?

Also, I don't want posts saying "Yeah I have the same problem" because tenth post in the last 24 hours has been this.
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok. I had the same problem.
    It all started when i was forcing my ipod off. When i put it in restore mode afterwards, I would get that problem. So i turned it off by sliding the red slider. Still got that problem the first time. So i restored, didnt type in a name for my ipod and closed itunes. Now, you can either get into recovery mode on your own or use iphuc and type enterrecovery. If you need iphuc i have it. I used the iphuc method, and CLOSED iphuc after i get into recoverymode. Then i opend the gui, unchecked everything but jailbreak. (when i used -v, THAT WAS WHEN I WAS GETTING THAT ERROR CRAP.) It finished and my ipod restarted on its own.
  3. H3X

H3X New Member

Thanks I will try it out.
  4. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Also, just restart your ipod during the process if it gets stuck.
  5. H3X

H3X New Member

Still doesn't work.

consume are you on an 8GB or 16GB?
  6. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    8gb, i honestly don't think it has anything to do with memory size because there are people with 16gb touches getting this to work. This jailbreak is only software, so i don't see how it can affect anything if you have a larger amount of memory. It took me probably longer than you to get this to work. It took me 2 days. Ok H3X, if you have aim my name is gianta6, ill be happy to help you personally.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There are RARE instances of 16 GBers geting it to work.

Like I said, it was designed for the iPhone, which had 8 GB of storage capacity.

Thats what the kernel recognizes in the hack.
  8. Arkidas

Arkidas New Member

Can you notify me if you drop into a chat. Would be happy to join ( also need help ).
  9. PMartinez527

PMartinez527 New Member

OMG I DID IT!!! ok this could be luck seeing as how i tried this 18 times before it worked...
    but Modmyifone.com now has a GUI up for Mac OS X that uses the ziphone 2.0 thing.

(Note: I am running Leopard 10.5.2)

I turned off my ipod (while disconnected), held down Home, connected my ipod, it showed up in iTunes 7.6 (which was already open) in recovery mode, i clicked on restore, allowed it to restore, and as soon as it remounted in itunes i clicked eject, didn't even touch the stuff about whether i wanted to set up as new or restore from backup.
    After ejecting, i closed itunes, ran the GUI (obviously only check jailbreak), clicked the button and BAM! stuff was scrolling on my ipod screen faster than it ever had before, no message about BSD root or whatever, it restarted and installer was right there on the springboard. WHOOP!!

hope this helps!

Note: the first 18 times i tried using the command line with -j -v in terminal, this was my first attempt using the new GUI
  10. H3X

H3X New Member

Kernel is code that modifies a system partition. I'm pretty sure that's not kernel.

Also it was designed for the iPhone, and the iPhone has edge, bluetooth, and a camera.