Brushed Metal Effect For Your iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by solidness, Oct 11, 2009.

1. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    [ I have included several pictures, which do not necessarily have the best quality. Bear with me on that one

Please Register or Log in to view images

]

Brushed Metal Effect-

When I first received my iPod in February, I decided not to buy a case for it until it was too late. I treated it as delicately as I could, but that pesky chrome attracted scratches nonetheless. It wasn’t until a month later until I decide to buy a case. It was a hard, sliding case. Unfortunately, this case also left a mark on my iPod. So I decided to test out the brushed aluminum look.

Beforehand-

You will need either steel wool or sandpaper. If using steel wool, keep in mind that it leaves behind some dirt. If using sandpaper, be sure that it is very fine- well above 300 grit. For my example, I will be using synthetic steel wool. Another alternative would be a Scotch-Bright brush, which you may have handy.

Prepare your workspace

Synthetic steel wool

To start, clean off any filth on the back of your iPod. In this tutorial, I am only doing a touch-up job of what I did 1 month ago. Also, before starting, make sure you know what direction you want the brush look to be in. I went with a diagonal top left to bottom right.

After i began, i was scraping off some dirt.
    Scratching-

This is mostly self explanatory. Just rub your material in the direction you want. Using steel wool, apply a good amount of pressure. I haven’t personally tried sandpaper, so use at your own risk. Also, you may want to write down you serial number before doing this. Just in case you need it, because it will be less visible after you are done. Also, you must make sure that you do not scratch the wifi antenna- it is plastic and will look ruined if you do.

Afterwards-

Clean up time!
    Clean off your iPod. I got a good amount of dirt onto mine from using steel wool. Also, the tiny grooves created in the metal will get dirt in them. You will want to clean the back of your iPod every few weeks to make it look nicer. If you develop uneven scratches from everyday use, just go at it again.

Finished. Camera quality can't show you how it looks precisely. I personally like this effect, while others don't.

Thanks for reading my tutorial; I hope you found some interest in it .

____

Feel free to discuss what you think of this mod. If you have a question, I'll be there to answer
  2. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How come in the before hand there's no writing?
  3. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ahh, just put the picture first. Will fix.
  4. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    U got the same case as me!!
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Very nice. If my iPod ever gets as scratched as yours, I will for sure consider this. A sticky would be very nice as well. Mods?

Also, I like the look. But, I'm not sure I can bring myself to doing it. Wouldn't this decrease the value if you sold it on eBay, or Craigslist?
  6. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I asked myself this at first; but it looks much better than one being sold with uneven scratches like many iPods have.
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah, it does. Anyways, this should really be stickied. Potentially VERY useful to plenty of people whose iPods are scratched to hell, and want a way to make it look nice.
  8. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My entire back on all 3 of my ipods are just scratched. There no place where there isn't one. They're there from when i carry my key and ipod in the same pocket.
  9. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What case are you using? I can't believe I've never seen one like that for the Touch.
  10. The_Guitar_Hero

The_Guitar_Hero New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't think that's the look for me. I put a case on my iPod the day I got it and I hope it stays that way for a long time. But I guess it looks better than awhole lot of uneven scratches.

I would be cool if you could somehow keep the apple logo on the back as well.