Brought an n95 instead of iphone. Mistake?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brownbox, May 10, 2008.

1. brownbox

brownbox New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Pretty much, all i want in a phone is a phone, and a decent media player. I had my mind set on getting an iphone, and then i found it had no native video capture, mms, and a load of other things a phone should have (which can be "fixed" with third party apps, not to mention the SDK which has just been released, so its all going to get better from now on).

So obviously, when i laid my eyes upon the almost twice the price, feature packed N95 8GB, i just had to get one. But since ive had it, ive lived my life in fear. What if it breaks, what if it drops, what if if it gets lost. What if im just that bit too rough with it? What if that work day is just a little too rainy? Thats almost $1000 NZD down the toilet. I would be in trouble then

To be honest, i have only used MMS and the media player on the n95. Nothing else. Ive installed boat loads of apps, most of which have never been opened once. Ive installed heaps of games, and again, ive only played one or two.

So, every day, i get dressed for work, walk over to the table, and pick up my 1 grand hunk of plastic, put it in my pocket and think, "im probably not even going to use this today, but i may loose $1000". I wonder, is the evil apple iphone really so bad? It does everything i want in a phone, its half the price of what i currently have, and it still has a lot of hack-ability. Did i make the wrong choice? Should i trade in my n95 while its still in 1 piece and get a iphone?

P.s. some things to note
    -I have had a ipod touch, and i was very happy with it (the interface, the size, the media capabilities, the range of apps, etc). I also liked the web browsing experience (sure, the screens little, but the easy scrolling/zooming method makes it more useful than some other internet browsing devices.). I sold the itouch and my then current phone for the n95.

Sorry its a mouthful, but im really stuck here.

The current prices here are
    8GB n95=1099 from shop or 1500$ from vodafones shop
    Iphone 8gb (currently not available from vodafone or retail stores)-$550 second hand, and unlocked for vodafone use, and 700 new and unlocked
    Iphone 16GB i will probably get this as i will sell my n95 for this much-900 brand new unlocked. 750-800 second hand

Headphone jack adapter-$8
  2. 13ooster

13ooster New Member

like u said iphone has everything u want why not get it there amazing u can almost do anything to them with jailbreaking
  3. drewface

drewface New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yep.
    You made the wrong choice.
    Especially now that the 3G iPhone is about to come out.
  4. kcl38

kcl38 New Member

Good lord, the N95 is that much in New Zealand? Up here in Vancouver you pay the same price for a n95 as you would for an iPhone. My phone-o-phile friend said it and the iPhone are about even, so it's just whatever you prefer.
  5. ELLDAWG

ELLDAWG Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    bad idea.... weres installer for n95?

the n96 is tasty but not as good as the iPhone

my sugestions are.... trade it in and get an iPhone or a n96
  6. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    If you get an iPhone for the phone part, honestly you are wasting your money. If you want a good phone get something else, like, a N96 or N95.

So I wouldn't say it's that much of a mistake.
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i wouldnt blame him for buying a n95

the speaker is louder, a lot louder
    the internet is pretty good
    the media player is good
    the camera is brilliant(compared to the iphone's which is S**t)
    however u dont get coverflow and all that fancy stuff and u cant jailbreak.
    if i was to go for n95 or a iPhone

id get for...
    Media:iPhone
    Camera:N95
    lots and lots of stuff:N95
    Lots lots of stuff:iPhone thats jailbroken
  8. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    but you dont know if its coming out or not( probably is)

and apparently from engadget, the new iPhones are going to be really really expensive, this DOES NOT include contract
  9. timmychan

timmychan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    that was a good choice. The iPhone isnt out in New Zealand yet
  10. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

I BET you it will be the same price, there's no reason it should be much more expensive. The 3G iPhone is all but announced, the new firmware mentions "Enabling 3G" in the preferences....