Broken power button from water damage?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Shannon1229, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Shannon1229

Shannon1229 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My iPod Touch received water damage about 2 weeks ago- I was at Hershey Park for an outdoor concert, and it rained from 6-12. My iPod was in a silicone case, inside of a fabric bag, and that was inside of a thin tote bag, which got soaked. The fabric bag that my iPod was in got wet, and some water got into my iPod. I turned it on after the show cause I didn't realize that water got in it. I've been putting it in a bowl of rice on and off since then.

It was working well a few days after, but I noticed the other day when I was going to work that I had to tap my power button twice to turn it off. Then a few days later, the power button only worked occasionally, and now its just not working. I can still use it, all of my apps are good, and my music plays fine, the only problem is that I can't turn it off. I put my iPod back in the rice yesterday, tried turning it on this morning, and it wouldn't turn off, so I let the battery run out again so it would turn off.

Is there any way to fix my stupid power button? I'm at work now, looking up solutions, and I read about the iHome app, is that good? I'm afraid to bring it to the Apple store because I don't know if they'll see if there is water damage (I didn't check the indicator yet, I just found out that was there today while looking up stuff).
  2. cbp

cbp New Member

I suggest quick lock for the power off replacement.
    ihome for the home button replacement.
    Use with springboard for rebooting and other advanced power options.

-----
    Search for my posts as I have same issue.
    -----

Clean connectors and send ipod to apple. If they decline to fix it, you can open it like I did and clean up the connectors inside the ipod with a swab and medicinal alcohol. My power off button works perfectly now that I cleaned the connector inside the device. (the connector where the volume and power off bands lock into)
  3. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, if the water indicator has been set off (or changed color), Apple won't look at it.

They'll say it's your fault.
    There's nothing you can do.

Good time to break it - the 3G is right around the corner.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Except for spending money >_>)
    If you're willing to spend money on an iHome, just get the next iPod.
  4. Shannon1229

Shannon1229 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, the one good thing is that the indicator didn't turn pink, so if I absolutely need to send it to Apple, maybe they'll fix it.

cbp, thank you!! I'll definitely look into QuickLock. My Home button still works totally fine, its just my power button that doesn't work. I'm honestly scared to open it and clean the connectors, I don't feel comfortable, especially since I've been using it as a temporary replacement to my computer, and I need it to access my email and stuff for school.

Bubalooshi, I was talking about the iHome App by Cydia, not the iHome thing that is sold at the Apple Store. I definitely don't have the money to spend on a new iPod.
  5. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You're under warranty. Take it to apple or get it mail it to them (ask me how if you need to, I just got my replacement from apple).
    They'll take a look at it and if they find no water damage, they'll give you a replacement refurb for free that looks new with NO scratches.
  6. dukemanchris

dukemanchris New Member

What were your results? Did you get it replaced or fixed?
  7. Shannon1229

Shannon1229 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I really can't do anything. I couldn't find QuickLock on Cydia's website, so I was just able to set it to auto-lock after a minute. I can't bring it to Apple to be replaced or fixed until I get a new laptop, which isn't until Christmas. I'll just tolerate the broken button until then.
  8. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    sbsettings can be used to turn it off or lock it to turn on just connect to charger