Broken iPod... Use LCD as a monitor? (hardware)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ddarko, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ddarko

ddarko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So I've got a broken iPod Touch 1st gen here that looks like it was either run over or stepped on as the rear metal casing is concave. It does not power on or charge. I decided to tear it down and found that the battery had a hole in it and was leaking somewhat so I disconnected it. Now I'm left wondering what to do with it.

I'd love to make use of some of the nice miniaturized hardware in there if possible. The LCD would make for a nice case-mounted screen in my PC/HTPC or in the car. Even better would be if I could use the multitouch panel in conjunction with Windows 7! (a guy can dream can't he?

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

I'm also wondering if the battery is the only thing that is damaged since it doesn't turn on when plugged in with or without the damaged battery. I'll see if I can get my hands on a replacement or similar power source.

So, my main question is: Can the iPod Touch's LCD screen be connected (via VGA/DVI/USB) and used as a computer monitor? If anyone with some experience with LCDs and controller/driver boards has any input it would be much appreciated.
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What does the screen currently use to connect to the device itself?
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Some kind of ribbon cable designed for the iPhone/iPod that its in.
  4. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Any chase of an adapter do you think?

Oh, I know what you mean by the "ribbon" thing.
    Ya dude, your out of luck.

You could sell it for like 20 bucks on CraigsList.
    A lot of iPod touch repair-people who advertise on CraigsList will probably be all over it.
  5. emery72

emery72 New Member

You should be able to sell some of the parts pretty easily.
  6. ddarko

ddarko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I considered selling it but I wouldn't get much for it and would rather try to turn it into a DIY project. If all else fails I guess I'll post it up on craigslist or let it rest in the spare parts bin.

I'm hoping someone with more experience in this area can offer some advice or direction. I've connected a simple 2-line LCD I found lying around to my computer via serial before but the ipod screen/controller is beyond my current capabilities.
  7. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Its because it uses that ribbon-type connector.

I dont know of anything that would use that input, and I sure as hell know theres no ribbon-to-VGA converter...

Contact somebody who repairs broken iPods on CraigsList and ask them if they need a spare screen, might get you a quick 30-50 bucks...
  8. carolin

carolin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is there a LCD monitor which can connect to a PS2? I need to buy an LCD monitor, preferably 21 inch or 22 inch which has connectors for PS2 and preferably PS3 also (though the latter is not important). I already have a Z-5500 speakers which are said to be the best in pc speakers, I also would like to get an LCD monitor which will make it really cool to play games on with my PS2.