Broken Home Button

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alexb01, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Alexb01

Alexb01 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi,

Today suddenly my iPod Home button has stopped working. Originally I thought it must be a software thing as it had been working happily 5 minutes earlier! So to check this I have tried first upgrading to the newest version of firmware (which was 3.1.1 i think) and since that didn't work restoring my ipod completely to factory settings. Still absolutely no response from my home button!

I bought my 1st gen touch mid July last year so we are talking 2 months out of warranty. If this is a hardware issue I'm not pleased at all and if all else fails will try and reason with apple via the sale of goods act.

In any case can anyone shed any light on this!? My iPod has led a peaceful existence inside a case so hasn't been bashed around etc.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    iPod touch 1Gs do this, a lot.
    Most likely a hardware issue.
  3. jnskyliner34

jnskyliner34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i had the same problem as you, also my warranty was 4 months out already. i took it to a apple service center and they said there is no fix for that problem. they told me to call Apple customer service if they would consider a reconsideration with the warranty and have my iPod replaced. so i did call and they gave me a case number to present to any Apple service center to get a replacement iPod.

i suggest to head onto to your local Apple Store and have it looked at first to see what they suggest.
  4. Alexb01

Alexb01 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    After going to the Apple Store today thought I'd provide a quick update.

It seems the staff in your Apple Store are a lot more reasonable that those in the flagship London Store... After fully accepting that the problem is nothing to do with me and just the iPod hardware failing they said that 2 months out of warranty is too long and that they would only a swap it for a new one for £146!!! I wasn't having that so I've got in writing them saying that it is broken and the iPod is not damaged at all and will try taking it up with Apple in writing.

It seems ridiculous when I spend £230 for an MP3 player (and god knows how much on firmware and apps on top of that) that they are so inflexible about a hardware problem that seems to be inherent and not my fault.

Anyway I haven't given up yet lol.
  5. jduk70mac

jduk70mac New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    103 days out of warranty

I agree - went to the store at White City and they said they couldn't fix my ipod so I could buy a new one or live with it! I have a dead spot on the screen and it's exactly where the cancel / ok buttons are so can't download / update apps and it drops stuff when playing games so is really annoying. Like you my ipod lives in a nice case and has an easy life so it is definitely not something I've done - they said it is a hardware problem. Anyway, I'm going to do some investigating and go back to Regent St in a couple of days armed with consumer rights info to see if I can get it replaced / fixed - have you had any luck with yours?
  6. Alexb01

Alexb01 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well I am able to give you some good news. After quite a few hours spent on various phone calls to Apple I did get somewhere. I'll summarise what happened:

- I first emailed customer relations quoting a few key bits from the important consumer laws
    - They replied saying that they couldn't help me and in fact I wanted to speak to technical support
    - I phoned technical support who said nope as it's an out of warranty issue I need to call customer relations... At this point I was getting very angry and being sent back to the same people!
    - So I phoned again with the intention of just asking for the name and email address of a senior manager in customer relations and sending them a personal email
    - When I called I eventually spoke to an Irish man in customer relations who despite me asking really just for the name and email address wanted to know a bit about my problem.
    - I explained the problem to him (wasn't being aggressive and at all and didn't feel the need to bring in all the consumer law at this point). He asked me questions like whether I had iPods in the past.
    - Anyway after a bit of talking he said to me that given I was a loyal customer, had misfortune in the past (an old iPod of mine was stolen) and that my iPod was only just out of warranty he was willing to cover the cost of the replacement iPod.

So... If I were you I would aim at trying to speak to someone outside of India in Customer Relations and just try and be friendly and not too aggressive.

If this nice approach then doesn't work I would suggest getting the name and email address of a real person who you can send a more heated email to.

Good luck!