Broken home button

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yoursxtruely, May 29, 2009.

1. yoursxtruely

yoursxtruely New Member

My itouch home button has completely stopped working. I wanna know if there's anyway to fix it other than restoring it or returning it to apple - those are options but I'll leave them to last.
    It was working fine and then the other day, I had to press it hard to work & then it completely stopped working all together the next day.
    Everything else works fine, I just have to shut my itouch off if I want to use a different application and I cant double click the home button anymore to get the music player.
    I bought it used & not from an apple store so I doubt if I bring it to them I'll get another one.

Please help, thanks.
  2. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Download iHome from Cydia/
  3. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Try a restore to remove any doubt if it's hardware or software. If it's a software glitch, a restore will fix it. If that DOESN'T fix it, it's likely that the button failed, and you'll need to send it into Apple.

If you're jailbroken, you'll need to restore before sending it into Apple anyway. If you're not jailbroken, then there's no reason that you can't just restore. Resyncing Music/vids/pics shouldn't take more than 30 mins - even if you're filling up the whole 16GB.

Also, as BMatt stated, there are work-arounds if you're jailbroken, however I STRONGLY recommend getting it fixed by Apple if it does turn out to be a hardware issue. Your warranty only lasts a year, so the clock is ticking. Yeah, it's a pain, but to get your Touch fixed or replaced is worth it.
  4. yoursxtruely

yoursxtruely New Member

Well the only reason I don't want to restore it is because I don't have any of my music on my laptop because I delete it afterwards to keep my laptop clean & have more room. So if a restore doesn't fix it then I'll just be upset & like I said, I bought my itouch used so I don't have the receipt & I'm not sure how old it is.
  5. Soutar_3DG

Soutar_3DG Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well you can move the music back onto you laptop using some applications, then restore to check if its a software glitch or a hardware problem
  6. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That might be the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Your laptop has a hard drive for a reason. Putting some music on it won't slow it down at all.

There's no reason to just settle with something being broken. That's just about as idiotic as deleting your music library to have unused free space.

I mean no offense by any of this, and I'm not insulting you. However, you need to know more about managing you Touch, Computer, and music library.

If your computer is older and you're hurting for space, there are other options. Deleting your entire music library is NEVER a good idea!

Please Register or Log in to view images

To get your iPod working again, you'll need a restore or a new iPod from Apple.

First off, check your warranty status.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Enter the serial number from the back of your Touch, and the country you're from, and it will give you the date that your warranty expires.

Next, you need to get your library backed up. The home button going out could be the start of something going majorly wrong and the iPod failing.

I'm not up on the current apps to take music off of the Touch, so you'll need to do a search for that, but do it, and keep a backup of your library.

Once that's done, try a restore. If it doesn't solve the issue, contact Apple and get it replaced (hopefully it's still under warranty!)

Good luck!
  7. yoursxtruely

yoursxtruely New Member

Well obviously you don't know my laptop lol. It's not old but it slows down after a certain amount of memory is taken up. And I used to upload my music from my sister's so more than half of my music would be on hers so I had to delete it anyway.

And thanks for your help.

-Just checked my warranty & hopefully the restore does fix the problem because my warranty was up a little over a month ago.
  8. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Give me your laptop brand, model, and specs. It should never slow down just because there's some data on your hard drive. With older computers where the hard drive would be maxed, you might experience slow down. But any modern computer with a decent hard drive should NEVER have that issue - again, unless you're completely maxing it out.

If you're experiencing any sort of slowdown by using space on your hard drive, there's an issue there.
  9. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. yoursxtruely

yoursxtruely New Member

Well the restore didn't fix it so I guess I'm stuck with the broken home button since it's not under warranty anymore. Oh well. Thanks for your help anyway.