Broken Home Button, and I need to reset my 1G iPod Touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xsaeros, Apr 15, 2010.

1. xsaeros

xsaeros New Member

My iPod would not boot this morning (I forgot to charge it during the night). Upon getting this problem I plugged it in and left it for about 1.5 hours.. STILL NOTHING. I was wondering if resetting it (Lock + Home button) would boot up the Apple logo, but I have a broken home button.

Is there anyway to keep my data on my iPod and somehow boot it up without using the home button?
  2. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hold just the sleep button turns it on
  3. xsaeros

xsaeros New Member

I held just the lock button and it did nothing.

I fell asleep with it in my bed (like I have many time) and I'm thinking I could have rolled over on it and broke it? I'm not sure-- But what I do know is I have a nice paperweight now.
  4. rawfuls

rawfuls Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've fixed iPod Touches 1st Gen multiple times and think the home button was a dumb design.
    There are TONS of posts of how their home button is not responding, if worse comes to worse, crack it open, or maybe sell it.
  5. xsaeros

xsaeros New Member

The home button is not the main problem.. I can't even get it to respond when plugged into my PC.

The home button has been broke for a long time now, I used a certain program to get a "virtual home button".

I'm thinking I may have cracked some of the component or something inside because plugging it in my PC or docking/charging station doesn't even light it up.
  6. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

I'm pretty certain theres a way to do it via a program called "iPhone Browser". http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

Once using iPhone Browser, you navigate to /var-keychains/
    and you delete the file called keychain-2.db

Now reboot your iPod and you should be fine! No data lost!
  7. xsaeros

xsaeros New Member

Would that help even if my computer doesn't recognize the iPod when it is plugged in?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wow.. I went to plug my iPod into the computer after reading your advice and before I could even download the program my iPod boots up and is now working 100%!

I wonder why it was like that-- I plugged it into the computer atleast 100 times trying to get it to work and even left it to charge for 10 hours..
  8. ianjranson

ianjranson New Member

Jailbreaking provides a quick fix if the problem is permanent.

My iPod touch first gen's home button stopped working suddenly about six months ago meaning i couldn't change apps. I found a solution which is a virtual home button which can be installed from Cydia on jailbroken iPods. As the jailbreaks then required DFU mode (which required my broken home button) i had to wait.

Luckily Blackra1n (www.blackra1n.com) jailbreaks 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 firmwares without DFU mode as the software puts the device into recovery mode for you. (If you have upgraded your firmware there's nothing you can do at the moment as you need DFU mode to downgrade firmwares).

On jailbreaking my device which led to no loss of data i opened settings app and connected it to my wifi connection (turining wifi off and on again to make sure it auto connects). Then i rebooted my iPod (the only way to exit the app) and i opened the Blackra1n installer which the jailbreaker installs so you can download package installers, i installed cydia and when it had done it exited.

Finally i installed mQuickDo from cydia (paid app but definately worth it). You may need to add the source: http://www.mcleaner.com/iphone/cydia to cydia. The app serial code can be bought for $7.99 from http://www.mcleaner.com/iphone_w/mquickdo.shtml.

How to use the app, to use the app swipe across at the bottom of the screen (there are many swipes you can customize to do certain tasks such as opening the iPod controller and locking the device) open the customization app to get started.