Broken Glass *alone* keep Touch from turning on? (Stuck home button as well)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ryan Trevisol, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Ryan Trevisol

Ryan Trevisol New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I recently bought an iPod with a broken digitizer to attempt to fix myself. It's not the first time I've fixed an iPod (never a touch, but I'm very mechanically inclined).

However, I'm starting to wonder what kind of damage has gone on with this iPod, and if it includes water damage.

When I got it, the iPod wouldn't power up, and the home button seemed to be stuck.

I figured if it was stuck in the down position, that would be one reason why it wouldn't come on. I've seen plenty of touches and iPhones that still work under broken glass.

So I figured the button being stuck might be it. I picked some of the glass out from around the button, and removed it. Sure enough, the little sticker that holds down the "clicker" spring was loose and out of place. I removed it, and there was gunk all underneath the clicker. (I'm thinking water damage at this point)

I fixed that, got the clicker cleaned and back in place, and now holding the hold and home buttons for 30+ seconds while plugged in didn't turn it on or kick it into restore mode.

So after all that, the real question is: Is it possible that the glass being badly shattered, on its own, would be enough to keep the iPod from turning on?

In other words, if I replace the glass and digitizer (which is the only part I ordered from KingIpod), what are the odds that it will turn on and work?

Thanks for any information.
  2. deritsuku

deritsuku New Member

My friend has the almost the exact same problem, except the home button. His screen is cracked, some [a lot, actually] pixels missing, and it will not respond to the finger.
  3. Ryan Trevisol

Ryan Trevisol New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I'm definitely going to replace the glass (as I've already ordered it), and if it doesn't work I can stick it back up on ebay and probably recoup most of my money.

I'm just wondering if Ishould be shopping for another iPod while I wait.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. deritsuku

deritsuku New Member

How much would it cost to by the new touch-screen? Not too expensive, I hope?

BTW: good luck getting most of your money back...
  5. Ryan Trevisol

Ryan Trevisol New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I got mine for $25 at kingipod.com . . . But it's the most complicated repair you can undertake. And from what I undersrtand, the hardest part is separating it from the mid-frame, which can be gotten for $15 more. Probably worth it.