Broken 5th Gen iPod Video Help

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by thejester, Mar 3, 2010.

1. thejester

thejester New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was considering buying a new iPod Classic, because I need more space on my iPod for songs, when I remembered that I had an old, broken 5th Gen that I might be able to fix up.
    The iPod fell out of my pocket onto concrete about 2 years ago, and I just kinda filed it away as f.u.b.a.r.
    When it fell, it popped open the casing or w/e and separated the two halves and iirc, had a little frowny face on the screen. I presume this was fixable, but I picked it up and tried to put it back together, and the little connection things inside twisted a bit and broke...
    I was just wondering if I would be able to take this into a certain store like Future Shop or Best Buy or something, or even do it myself, and have them/me replace the parts and make it work again, and if so, is it a reasonably cheap price, to the point where it's cheaper than buying a new one?
    Picture attached of what I'm talking about, it's those little cable ish things.
    Thanks in advance for any help

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    solution: get an iPod touch...
  3. thejester

thejester New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have an iPod Touch. lol
    I just want an iPod that I can have a sh*tload of songs on, and if I can fix this up, then that'd be great.
  4. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    did u try electrical tape? lol
  5. thejester

thejester New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    With risk of sounding like a dumbass; could that actually work? or...
    Cause I put the two ends back in the slots, and now the screens working, and showing that sad face, but the part where that things actually in two is still...in two, which I'm guessing is what's causing the face.
    When I plugged it in, it goes in a cycle between the Apple bootup screen, then the sad face, then something saying please wait, very low battery. Is that broken cable connecting the battery or something?
  6. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  7. thejester

thejester New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you could probably find the same thing on eBay for pennies on the dollar

That being said, it may not completely fix your problem, but it's a good start. Good luck with the fix.

9. thejester

thejester New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I was hoping to just fix that first then figure the rest out. Someone told me the sad face means it's something wrong with the hard drive? Is this right? Would it be better/cheaper/easier to try and find an old, broken down 5th gen to use for parts?
  10. ipodtechsolutions

ipodtechsolutions New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi
    Your problem certainly seems like a Hard drive failure, they are very sensitive. A new hard drive is about £30 depending one where you are in the world of course. However the fact that you dropped it and all the bits came out would suggest that it isnt just the hard drive it could be anything from hard drive, harddrive cable, connectors or the mainboard itself. With out seeing it personally I wouldnt be able to tell you what was actually wrong with it. It could be expensive and it could be fairly cheap. I would suggest that you buy some bits and have a play with them and see if you can get it working or find a cheap one on ebay. The cables you mention and are highlighted in your picture are the cables for the battery, which to be honest looks ok as long as the connector on the board is ok. The other ones are the headphone and hold switch cable (all one piece) They are about £6 each for battery and headphone socket/hold button.
    If you are stuck for repairing it let me know where you are in the world and Ill give you further details.
    Hope it helps