Bricked is thrown around too loosely

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RenegadeKrogan, Aug 2, 2008.

1. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Below in the bold is an exact and in-depth definition of bricked. People are throwing the word around to loosely when all their ipod needs is a restore.

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick."[citation needed] The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to modify its firmware."

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that the device is completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If the device can be repaired through software or firmware changes, it's not a brick.

Historically, the oldest reference known is from fall 1990 at Ramstein AFB, where the term was used by the 1856 Comm Squadron there to describe what happened when you over-drove the flyback mechanism on a CRT, which on a particular model of IBM monitor could be done through firmware. The resultant destruction of the internal electronics resulted in the release of magic smoke and the square monitor being called a "brick," "doorstop," "boat anchor," or a "paperweight", depending on which NCO was describing the incident.[citation needed]

Brick may also refer to a power brick which is used to describe some external mains AC to low voltage DC power converters commonly supplied with many consumer electronics devices. It is called a brick because even with a unit with an appealing design, an OEM power transformer is generally supplied, and has a much less pleasing design - it is usually the size and shape of a brick. When these devices plug directly into a wall outlet (without an additional cord), they are also commonly referred to as a wall wart.

The term "brick" can also be used to refer to a particularly large mobile phone, referring to the older style of telephone which was the size of a house brick.

I am just a little tired of people calling every problem with their ipod bricked. I have personally never seen an actual bricked iphone or ipod touch. Thanks and please do not throw around the word bricked as if it is a baseball. Please think about it before saying it.

Remember that a bricked device is something that is ruined beyond repair and cannot be restored hence it is as useless as a brick.

If you truly think that your ipod is bricked check here and you will see.
  2. b1j4nt

b1j4nt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I completely agree with you, you can't browse the forum for more than a minute without seeing "my ipod got bricked."

If you can fix something with dfu mode, or anything for that matter its not bricked.
  3. HOLLOWRAZER

HOLLOWRAZER New Member

i agrees too noobs all ways cry and whine on how they got the ipods bricked
  4. River

River New Member

I also have to agree on the abuse and ill-use of the word "bricked" used here.

For all you n00bs and regular 'tards - you "locked up" your device, you didn't "brick" it. Use the language correctly, or just STFU.

Ahhhhhh... glad to get that off my chest.
  5. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

jillions of threads of "bricked devices" every day. thanks i totally agree
  6. jieo

jieo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    haha wow THIS IS interesting.............. i wonder how much the word BRICKED is actually used in this whole website (xcluding ppl telling other ppl their ipod isnt bricked0
  7. ‹React™›

‹React™› New Member

We need a sticky!
    Stap!
  8. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    this doesn't really need a sticky...lol

Bricked In My Definition: Dropping brick on iPod and causing it to break/not work.
  9. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i still think that it is impossible of a brick.
  10. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Yeah. I just do not like it how people throw around the word like it is common. An ACTUAL bricked ipod is incredibly rare. Bricked is ruined beyond repair.

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    There are a lot. All the person has to do is force restore.