Bricked iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SweetPotato, May 5, 2009.

1. SweetPotato

SweetPotato New Member

I think I've finally bricked my 1g iPod Touch (from '07 launch). The problem is that I cannot get it to sync with iTunes, nor can I get it to be recognized in Windows Vista, XP, or Windows 7 Beta, all with fresh installs of iTunes (the latest one). In each case, a pop up comes up and says something like "USB Malfunction" and "Device not Recognized." Under the Device Management Panel, my iPod is assigned the driver "Unknown Device."

To my advantage, the iPod still works normally. It doesn't charge when hooked to the computer, but does when hooked to my iHome. It can go into restore mode or DFU mode, but when connected to the computer, it still yields the same result as in the first paragraph. I do have SSH access to the iPod.

I don't know why my iPod started acting this way, only that it just started randomly one day after I updated iTunes. My 1st G iPod is jailbroken with QuickPWN and running 2.2.1.

As a note, I've had similar problems in the past. Usually, I just put it into DFU Mode and restore it, but that won't work this time. And yes, I know how to properly put it into DFU Mode.
  2. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Have you tried on another computer? Oh, and I'm not sure you really know what "bricked" means.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. SweetPotato

SweetPotato New Member

Yes, I've tried on another computer with the same results.

And yes, I realize this isn't a "full" brick, considering it's still functional, but it cannot sync at all to any computer. Honestly, I've tried reinstalling the operating system on top of iTunes, all to no avail. The problem must lay on the iPod's software then.

Also, are there any 3rd party drivers for Windows that work with the iPod Touch/iPhone?

Turns out I'm gonna need much more help with this. It's more complicated than I had thought.

I decided to try LibUSB, as it seems to work well with the 2 iPod Touches. From what I can tell, it appears as if my iPod is not broadcasting its Vendor ID or Product ID. I have no idea how to fix it, but after spending an hour searching the web, I have not been able to find a similar case.